Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Travel alot and carry a handgun for personal protection. I do not have my Concealed permit, Which I intend on getting when tim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Travel alot and carry a handgun for personal protection. I do not have my Concealed permit, Which I intend on getting when tim

I Travel alot and carry a handgun for personal protection. I do not have my Concealed permit, Which I intend on getting when time permits. Any way the question is How do you feel about open carry states? As long as the pistol is visible I can carry it anywhere unless otherwise posted.

The laws are vague in some states so I try to talk to leos in every new state I enter.

Comment

You are taking a lot of chances, law enforcement personnel are not lawyers, and are not experts on the law or even how it is enforced in their states, many well intentioned people have been arrested,convicted, and have lost their firearms AND their ability to legally own any in the future.The NRA can let you know the laws in each state, but you also have to be aware in some states of local regulations, try to get a cwp in a state that has good reciprocal rights, and make sure you verify the up to the minute standings of the law in each state you are visiting. There are quite a few I would avoid, and several that have screwy local laws.
      Be careful!!!

Comment

RJ is absolutely right. And it's the local laws that can really kill you - some open carry stated permit municipalities to have more restrictive laws within their jurisdictions, so what's legal in town A may get you busted in town B. The NRA is very good about maintaining correct information, but to get it right from the horse's mouth, look up the state's laws or the state's attorney general's office on the web.

Comment

I do not think open carry is a good idea even where it is legal, unless you have had weapons retention training. Modern holsters are available with varying levels of retention security, but even with the highest level, the user has to be in a very acute state of situational awareness at all times.
          Not for me.

Comment

Ditto~~99E....Well Put!
            The Public Views on open carry are Not Favorable!
            Take Time-out for your CCW.

Comment

In Oklahoma, if you don't have a SDA, the firearm must be unloaded and stored separately from ammo, clip, magazine.
              In Texas, loaded or unloaded, CHL or not a handgun can be transported legally if it's openly displayed. (not concealed)
              Those are the only two I'm familiar with.
              Tx & Ok have reciprocal CHL agreements.

Comment

If you open carry and people are afraid around you, you can be arrested for inciting public panic or something like that.
                Go ahead and get a carry permit and check what states have reciprocity - sometimes a couple of permits will cover the states you travel to. An Ohio, Idaho and Florida permit covers something like 40 states.
                Forget the North East - the farther you go the more restrictive it gets, for the most part.

Comment

Get a Utah non-resident permit honored almost everywhere except your home state.

Comment

Wam, that is not true.
                    Most northeastern states will not honor Utah or Florida right to carry permit.

Greg, be very careful and check with the state's Attorney General Office first.
                    Lawyers always say "Ignorance for the law is no excuse".

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but I think Florida has the most reciprocity agreements with other states, about 38 states in all. And Florida issues permits to non-residents by mail.

Comment

I should add that many states that honor the permits of other states limit their recognition to residents of the issuing state.
                        There was some scuttlebutt a while back that residents of Pennsylvania could secure Florida permits to get around their own state's permit requirements, but Pennsylvania is more lenient in its licensing process than Florida.

Comment

ive always felt that the point of carrying was so nobody knew you had it, but it goes both ways. somebody wanting to cause you harm may see the gun and decide otherwise, or a psychopath may see it and decide to take you out first because you have it on your hip.

Comment

I dont plan to walk around displaying my hangun. I have it in my vehicle and motel room. You gentlemen are absolutely correct, I need to take the time and get my concealed permit. that will eliminate alot of issues. thanks for the advice.

Comment

GERG, this state website may help you in your travels.

licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad