Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everybody think of 30/30 Winchester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everybody think of 30/30 Winchester?

What does everybody think of 30/30 Winchester?

Darn it's been a long time since I've posted something. Thanks for any answers.

Comment

I have one back in the early '90's I prefer marlins, but I love lever guns in general.

Comment

I have Two in 30/30Win A Savage Mod/170C Pump and a Marlin 336 Marauder.

Comment

It's probably the caliber that has taken the most deer in America, can't argue with it!

Comment

Popular in the lever action, some pump and bolt action rifles it has put a lot of meat on the pole.
            With the Hornady Leverevolution ammo, extra yards have been added to it's effective range - somewhere around 225yds.
            I have two and both are excellent compact woods rifles. I take them on hunts as a backup rifle and after a few days of carrying the shoulder cannons, the 30-30 Winchester '94 is a nice change of pace.

Comment

.30-30 Winchester

Designed as a .30 caliber bullet loaded with 30 grains of black powder.
              The name .30-30 (thutty-thutty! LOL!) stuck, but it was never released to the public loaded with black powder.
              Factory .30-30 Win loaded to SSAMI specs is a bit lackluster. It has to be loaded to levels that won't blow up weapons made in 1894! That's 120 years old!
              A modern, well built .30-30, loaded with perky handloads is easily a 250 yard cartridge. I have a 1948 model Marlin 336 that benefits greatly from pepped up powder charges and lighter bullets.
              It's still a very fine cartridge.
              In his book, "The Last Ivory Hunter", P. H. Capstick writes about Wally Johnson. When Wally first got to Africa, he and a friend started hunting lions with the only rifle they had. A Winchester Mod 94 in .30-30! They "culled" quite a few before being able to upgrade to a more appropriate caliber.

Comment

Ideal entry level caliber for deer hunting in the northeast.

Comment

Ideal rifle for a pickup truck, saddle scabbard, or four wheeler. Light, handy to shoot, and enough power to handle anything inside 100-150 yards. My '94 .30 WCF has been my favorite kicking around gun since I have owned it.

Comment

Well said crm! The Winchester 94 is my favorite rifle for carrying around in trucks, tractors, ATVs, etc. You don't have to baby it. It is also my favorite for stomping through tough brush in anticipation of close range deer shots. It is light, short and I like the quick target acquisition provided by the iron sights. It will deck whatever it hits out to about 150 yards. With its mild recoil it is fun to shoot but I never think of it as a long range rifle. Nor do I like shooting running varmints beyond about 50 yards with it because it is so slow.

Comment

I love both M-94s and M-336s. Lots of fun to shoot and to hunt with in spite of DEP's negative statements. Accept the .30-30's limitations and enjoy this wonderful old combination like many before you.

Comment

Next to the .30-06 it's one of the oldest deer hunting cartridges ever. They are very accurate and are good brush guns for thick woods hunting.
                        -The Kid

Comment

I have an old ('78) marlin. I love it. Winchester 94 is a great gun, but I prefer the side eject on the Marlin. Dollar for dollar, It may be the best all around rifle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by crm3006
                            From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
                            Today, 03:11 PM
                          • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by derek7
                            Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                            08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by PigHunter
                            Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
                            Today, 02:36 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
                            Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X