Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for information about an M1 rifle from the Springfield Armory. The lady at Springfield said rifle was made when the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for information about an M1 rifle from the Springfield Armory. The lady at Springfield said rifle was made when the

I am looking for information about an M1 rifle from the Springfield Armory. The lady at Springfield said rifle was made when the government ran it. It is a top-loaded M1 with green duck designs all over it. Serial # is 462529.

itrocks2000
    Sorry, I don't know anything abouth your rifle, but I would imagine the "duck" design IS NOT factory.

Just a note: When inquiring about serial numbers, for your own safety, don't use the entire number. Post it like this: 462***.
    The prefix and number of digits says tons!

Comment

That serial number puts it manufacturered in Jan. of 1942. Is there a date one the barrel?

The ducks are (going out on a limb here) not military issue and were done after it came back home.

You can buy new stocks from Boyd's or CMP. You may be able to check with CMP to see if it was sold through them.

There is a lot of information out there on the web about the origins and function of this fine piece. Lots of things contributed to the Allied victory in 1945, and this rifle was surely a big one.

If you want to fire it, keep in mind that some factory hunting ammo may be a bit unkind on the gas system. I'm not familiar with any factory loads that for sure are not, but reloading manuals often have specific loads.

If you can get Clay Cooper to chime in, you can probably get all the information you would ever want or need ( and then some ).

No lie, GI!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad