Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank GOD for people like Ed Snowden, the whistle blower that revealed the Government spy operation. Without people like him the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank GOD for people like Ed Snowden, the whistle blower that revealed the Government spy operation. Without people like him the

Thank GOD for people like Ed Snowden, the whistle blower that revealed the Government spy operation. Without people like him the Government would just keep going on and on. Some say the Government operations were illegal and that Congress approved a much less intrusive operation. Can Ed Snowden be tried for doing something illegal about something the Government was doing that is illegal?

Eavesdropping is how they managed to get Bin Laden. As an American living outside the country using Verizon, I'm sure they have been peaking at my communications across the border quite a bit. No problem for me (and you guys thought I was a liberal!). I have nothing to hide and if it keeps you safe, the US govt can snoop away at my communications all they want.

Comment

Technically what this wayward administration is doing is legal under the Patriot Act, but our government never target ordinary Americans before. So what he did could get him a death penalty or life in prison. The reason why this has exploded into a big controversy is because this administration is using it for vast majority of the country and not using it in a targeted situation. There is no reason for them targeting me or you when everyone knows who the enemy is. Also this really got a lot of the media to open their eyes although they are still glazed over in a hypnotic trance. This guy did in my Libertarian side views expose an evil thing, but at the same time gave the enemy plenty of useful information. Regardless it got the public talking about it and considering their views on spying.

Comment

OntarioHonker,
        The operation failed to catch the Boston bombers even after the Ruskies told us to watch them.
        The CIA has been doing this for years from Arlington,VA but that was only international electronic communications. That was probably how they kept track of OBL, even after the press leaked we were listening to his calls. That was a Cray computer - fastest we had at the time. This operation in Utah is going to store a Terabite of info. The computers are so powerful they have 3 million gallons of cooling water to keep them running.
        No thanks, I do not want such a pervasive Government working in the US. You do not mind because you are Canadian - different world there.
        BTW, have you noticed the media is playing down the California shooter probably because is a Arib. Have you heard them say his name? not very often. Maybe he was one of the individual cells we are suppose to have living among us. 1,300 rounds of ammo - give me a break. He was in a mission. Then they showed a black powder revolver. What's up with that?

Comment

Dcast,
          I have heard the spying sees a big increase in traffic just prior to a planned attack. I would guess they want to look at everyone's communications to get a base line of 'noise' so they can then spot any increase in activity, and key in on those communications.
          Still, I am not in favor of collecting this data en-mass, which in the future could be used in any number of malicious ways.

Comment

Ten years ago I had 35 years in the communications industry. I can tell you the only difference between illegal and legal is can it be used in court. Even in the olden days of analogue service, collection was possible. Fast forward to today throw a computer in he mix and everybody gets nervous and jerky. Back in the old days the phone company had an amusing saying. You may have never had a Policeman in your house but you had a Phone man under your bed. [You know the the phone on the night stand].

Comment

PS; To put all this in prospective. Five months after 911 all the terrorists were granted Visa's albeit posthumously.

Comment

At what point do we, as Americans, stop giving up our freedoms in the name of safety?
                "A man who gives up liberty for safety, deserves neither." T. Jefferson
                Honk,
                "...I have nothing to hide..."
                Nor do I, therefore the Gov't had NO right to snoop around in my phone calls!
                They're going after E-mail, too!
                Just another "Enhanced" background check!
                If I had a criminal record, I might expect it.
                I'm not!
                Just another reason they're out of line.

Comment

Yeah, Bubba, wouldn't it be nice if all the criminals and terrorists wore uniforms or walked around with placards identifying them as such. They don't. Like you, I'm also not a criminal or terrorist. I know that. But do you? Do you have a right to find out for sure if your family works in buildings or rides mass transit that makes them vulnerable to terrorist attacks? In a country where everyone is supposed to be legal under the law, I don't have a problem with everyone being suspects ... rather than no one. Sadly, after 9/11 our world changed. We need to accept it. To keep my grandson safe, I'm willing to live with less liberty. I don't like it but it is what it is. We're not living in the 18th century any more ... not even the 20th century. Having said that, I don't oppose vigilance either.

Jimbo, the government security agencies lost track of the Boston Marathon kooks because some idiot clerical person misspelled their names. Sh*t happens sometimes in spite of everyone's best efforts.

Comment

A little profiling would curtail the problem post haste.
                    You know, the same thing radical Islamics do.
                    "Are you Muslim?"
                    "No."
                    "Then you must convert to Islam or die."
                    But then, Muslims feel it's okay to lie if it promotes their religion.

Comment

FirstBubba I think there is a danger in taking a quote out of the it's context in history. Good old TJ thought nothing of sending the common man to fight against England because he was tired of paying taxes. He thought it was OK to subject his illegitimate children to a life of slavery. Women were little more than chattel. All these high ideals may not have meant what they mean today. One of my favorites was "If we loose this war an Iron Curtain will fall over Europe" Paul Joseph Goebbels Reich Marshall of Propaganda.
                      America has always been a nation of checks and balances. If it is necessary for the common good to monitor the populace so be it. Presently it is a Democracy and if the majority feels it is the right thing to do. Then it's the right thing to do.

Comment

Carl,
                        We have a Representative Republic.
                        The problem with the whole spying thing is the majority of Congress did not know the extent of the operation. The basic concept was rubber stamped by the Congressional Committee on Security(?)for years, but after their token approval they lost track of the extent of what was going on.
                        Only the attack on the Press and Snowden have brought this to the attention of Congress and the American people. I for one am glad it will be re-evaluated by Congress.

Comment

The IRS, the Justice Dept, and the EPA have all been caught ignoring the, equal treatment under the law, theory. When the government treats illegal immigrants better than citizens we have a problem. This last election saw government depts. deliberately discourage Constitution supporting groups while progressive groups were encouraged. The government is out of control, as gun owners have noticed. The government is lying to us about things "for our own good."

Comment

In a free society this shouldn't be a problem and if America feels that there is a problem. It should be corrected. But this was just a record of numbers called basically traffic. I think what makes everybody nervous in the old day's you had to run a x connect to establish a tap. Now you just need a computer to program the switching equipment. The only thing I find amusing is Snowden is hiding out in Hong Kong. He says he choose China because they have a history of free speech. You cannot make this up.

Comment

Carl, "America feels that there is a problem"?
                              Ninety percent of the "Dumb-Dumb" voters in this country don't know what is going on. They all can explain in great detail what was on Showtime, HBO or Cinemax.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad