Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I heard via the grapevine that the submissions for Gunfight Friday over in the Gun Nuts blog have been less than expected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I heard via the grapevine that the submissions for Gunfight Friday over in the Gun Nuts blog have been less than expected.

Well, I heard via the grapevine that the submissions for Gunfight Friday over in the Gun Nuts blog have been less than expected. I am very much enjoying this idea and hope it continues. Check out the recent showdown between an old army workhorse and snub-nosed bazooka. I learned quite a bit about turkey hunting from the first faceoff between Phil and Dave's guns. So, c'mon guys. Lets see what you've got! I'd love to have a peak at one of Happy's African guns. Or WAM's 35 Whelen. The categories are endless: muzzleloaders, rabbit guns, favorite collectible, skeet/trap guns, waterfowl, home defense, plinker, AR platform, bench shooter, fishing gun, long range cannon, quick-draw flippers, etc., etc. Just about everyone on here writes well enough so that shouldn't be the holdup. Lay your gun on the floor or a blanket (something without a lot of pattern), snap a photo, and tell us about it. Also check out Petzal's recent rant on bugs. It contains a lot of great tips shared. I'm sure many more could be added. And a lot of funny stuff too.

OHH,
    Well I might just do that. I'm a much better shot with a rifle than a camera, but I may try out my Father's Day gift Canon digital camera from LAST year! LOL

Comment

I will try to do that when I get home from Africa around the tenth of July. Like WAM, when I am in the bush the focus is on hunting not cameras. Leave early get back late, eat and bed. Always have the best of intentions regarding photos and writing, but seem to get preoccupied. Then in evening there are stories to tell and sundowners to drink. One must have priorities. Kindest Regards

Comment

Dakota could hit home runs on this subject

Comment

Happy,
          Heck, I even lost my other Olympus camera for a year and finally found it. Always too busy hunting and by the time I think about it, the photo opportunity is gone. Most of the photos I have were taken by others anyway. Most of my shooting recently has been on the back 40 with my Savage 99 .300 Savage. Been getting better with the soda cans at 50 yards with iron sights. Going to paper plates at 100 tomorrow if I have time to load some more rounds. When are you leaving? What is your targeted species this trip, if I may ask? I'm sure you posted it, but obviously I missed it or forgot. Cheers

Comment

WAM,
            Leaving Wednesday, stop in Jo' Berg to pick up a companion,(read baby sitter), spend a couple days visiting, then head back north to Douala, Cameroon. After spending the night, charter plane south into the jungle near the C.A.R. This will be my third trip focusing on the Forest Sitatunga, this has been an unusually elusive trophy for me. The past two trips there held some excitement involving other animals.

Comment

WAM,
              Spent yesterday activating one of these new SPOT gadgets. The kids gave me a new camera, think that was a hint. I extended my cell phone to international coverage. For the first time am not taking a satellite phone, Verizon feels I am as apt to get contact with the cell as the Satellite which in the past was hit or miss. Reading all this press on snooping maybe you can listen in. Believe I mentioned Cameroon. Is not issuing rifle permits to U.S. citizens, so am borrowing one from a French gentleman. Kindest Regards

Comment

WAM,
                Also signed up with Global Rescue, giving them specific instructions not to field dress me if they have to lug me out.

Comment

Happy, marshbuck is an interesting animal. Perhaps you should take along a bow fishing setup? Might work better than a rifle. :-) Wish I could tag along. Too busy chasing elusive baby turds. Little bugger shot me this morning too. Does anyone sell safety glasses equipped with windshield wipers.

Comment

I sent in some pictures but did not realize a story about the photo was required. I do not really understand the premise of the blog. A .500 and a .45acp? What is next, a .264WinMag and a 30-30?
                    I would be more interested in, say a Winchester 70 and a Remington 700 and the attributes of each - that type of thing. JMO

Comment

I suppose it might work better if the editors laid out a theme for future gunfights and asked for contributions in advance rather than trying to throw something together with whatever happens to come in. Say, saddle guns, grouse guns, bench rest target guns, long shooters, etc. Perhaps the gunfighters could take shots at each other's choices in the blog write up?

The "premise" of this week's theme seemed pretty clear to me as stated in the thread's first sentence: guns that one might take to an actual gunfight. I didn't think the choice of guns being compared was that bad in the "real gunfight" context: auto versus revolver; huge & fast vs big & slow; okay recoil vs knock yer socks off. Personally, I can't see myself ever shooting that big revolver but if I had to shoot it out with someone, I guess there wouldn't be much doubt that he'd be going down if shot with that thing ... to the bottom of a grave ... even if he had body armor on.

Comment

OntarioHonker,
                        If you hit a guy in the big toe with that .500 you will take him down.
                        I can not imagine shooting it. Compared to my .44mag it is like an artillery piece. Can not imagine the muzzle flash or blast. I fired my .44mag outdoors, without ears as few times and could not hear too much for some time.
                        For the blog, I think you have some good ideas for future match ups.

Comment

Alright, OHH, you convinced me. I just sent in a few pictures. I agree that some of the match-ups have been strange, but I am guessing it is a result of not getting enough to work with. If more people submit, there could be some interesting posts. I just submitted my mountain rifle, duck gun, and bear defense gun. If I ever get around to putting a scope back on it, I will submit my varmint rifle. I think some other good ones would be bench rest rifles, upland shotguns, bean field rifles, or slug guns.

Comment

Plum forgot about varmint rifles. I don't have one so that explains it. Tis the season for shooting whistle pigs and prairie dogs so maybe we'll see some come up. I'm sure Tneal has one or two to show us.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad