Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

regarding my earlier question on the smith-sights, there are some specific things that have grabbed my interest. first, I will b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regarding my earlier question on the smith-sights, there are some specific things that have grabbed my interest. first, I will b

regarding my earlier question on the smith-sights, there are some specific things that have grabbed my interest. first, I will be using my Mosin-Nagant mainly for target shooting at the range. this is because it is illegal to hunt with a center-fire rifle where I live. I have taken a look at the web site and took particular interest in both the adjustable target sight and the green fiber-optic sight. how much of an improvement would these sights be over the original military one? In addition, lets say I order one of the sights. once i receive the sight do i immediately install it or does it require some special fitting for proper placement? Thank you very much Josh for responding to my question and have a wonderful day. sincerely, J.B.H

JBH, I've only shot the Mosin Nagant rifle a small bit but feel that aftermarket front sights would be very beneficial. I found the military front sight to be very difficult to see, especially in low light conditions because it is so slim and pointed. The rear sight is actually quite good and should work just fine. For accuracy, I prefer the block shaped front sight with a flat top and straight sides. For me, it is then easier to align the top of the front sight with the rear aperature and to see equal space on either side of the front sight when viewing through the rear aperature. You sight manufacturer should specify what is required but most aftermarket sights I've seen fit the front dove tail and can be installed by the owner. As a matter of fact, the MN sight adjustment method is to screw the front sight up and down for vertical adjustment and use a drift punch to slide the whole sight left or right in the dovetail. Instructions received with your sight should describe this process. The Smith-Sight looks like a good one to me although I have not used it. Normally, I prefer a thick solid black front sight but have found the fiber optic sights to be helpful on low light shots, especially when shooting at fast running targets. They make sight acquisition faster.

Comment

Get you a 3xRed Dot Sight Barrel mount.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
        by PigHunter
        Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
        Today, 06:44 PM
      • How do you fly ?
        by jhjimbo
        Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
        Today, 04:18 PM
      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
        by PigHunter
        Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
        Today, 06:35 PM
      • Handgun Laser Sights
        by PigHunter
        On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
        08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
        by PigHunter
        Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
        Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X