Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new rifle. I'm not sure what caliber I want next...so I'm gonna list what I have and take opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    $$$

Leave a comment:

• infantry08
    replied
    I wound up getting a great deal on a barrel for my T/C from a gunshop that was going out of business. .25-06 impressed me with the light recoil and trajectory. I'll always be partial to my 7mag though. It's just an excellent cartrige. I've thought about getting something odd like an AR style .338 Federal. That could be a lot of fun. It would probably be really effective as well given that I use an M4 every day.

Leave a comment:

• Carney
    replied
    Since you have covered the spectrum of necessary hunting calibers, I would suggest you think in terms of "gun" rather than caliber...

However, I am partial to 300 WinMag.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    I look at your 30 caliber and would probably go up there to at least a 30-06 or 300. Possibly a 44 Mag or a 460 Smith if you like pistols. I'm also fond of my Springfield XD in 45 ACP. depends on what you want to do. I have 3 25s and love them all (25-06, 257WBY and 25 WSSM) the 25-06 is no dog and you can load it all the way up to elk size game (even though most people wouldn't give it a first look)

Just depends on what you're using it for and how recoil tollerent you are. my last two were an AR10 (Much fun!!!) and a 338-378 for a bear hunt up north.

actually given the political climate right now go with the AR10 if you can find them. Good 308 that will increase in value.

Leave a comment:

• T.W. Davidson
    replied
    Infantry . . .

Since you are an experienced handloader, but since most of your rifles (with the exception of your 7mm Mag) are not particularly suited for long-range shooting, I suggest you have fun, experiment a little, and get yourself a rifle that will do some things better than your other rifles will do.

Think about a Savage F-class single-shot heavy rifle in 6.5-284 Norma. It's not cheap, but you will have tremendous fun with it on the 1000-yard line, and it will not cripple you from recoil while you are shooting better long-range groups than you ever have before. You can win matches with this rifle.

Or think about a .257 Ackley Improved built on a Remington 700 long action, starting with a .257 Roberts that you rechamber to .257 AI. With this rifle and load data from the Accurate Smokeless Powder Company's Reloading Guide, plus data I'd be happy to share with you which I've developed myself in 3 different .257 AIs, you'll have a rifle that will shoot just as hard, just as flat and just as fast as a 25-06, but with less powder and less recoil. The .257 AI is a great cartridge and my personal favorite rifle cartridge.

Or experiment with a 7x57 Ackley Improved or .280 Ackley Improved, both built on long actions. The .280 AI will give you the performance of your 7mm Mag. with significantly less recoil. The 7x57 AI will do anything a .280 AI will do, with even less recoil. (I own a 7x57 AI and two 280 AIs.)

Or go with an old classic, but safely handloaded in a modern bolt action to modern caliber pressure levels of 60,000 psi or so, namely the (hopefully) immortal 7x57 Mauser. Low recoil, very easy to reload for, economical, efficient, and powerful enough (when handloaded properly) for any game with hooves in North America out to any reasonable distance. One of the most efficient and greatest centerfire rifle cartridges there's ever been or will ever be. (And also one of my very favorites.)

Good luck and good shooting.

T.W. Davidson

Leave a comment:

• summit229
    replied
    Infantry, looks like you got about all the bases covered. I agree with the posters above on their suggestions, however I might suggest that rather than looking at it as a chambering question, maybe you might want to look at it as an 'action' question. For instance, if your .223 is a semi auto, you might want a bolt action 22-250. If it is bolt action, you may want a semi auto .223. Also, with prettymuch all bases covered, you might just want something that you 'like', such as a single shot high-wall or low-wall, or whatever that may be for you.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    '08,

It depends on what you want to hunt. I am a big fan of the 25/06. Very versatile, very flat shooting. Shines even better if you reload.

If you are looking for a real $#& buster the new .375 Ruger will fit the bill. It is a pleasure to carry, fairly easy to reload (more affordable that way) and will do anything the old .375 H&H will do and maybe a bit more. I have loaded the Hornady 225 grain .375 bullet for range work and a dandy deer wild hog load (Yes, I know it is too much for deer but it will make a believer out of a 300 to 400 lb boar). Recoil is reduced and meat damage on game is minimal.
    You can load it up to take care of anything that walks in North America and just as the old H&H it will do for any African game with the right bullet. You get controlled round feeding, side lever safety and a decent set of iron sights on the Ruger. The ones I have handled have a good (not great) trigger.

Leave a comment:

• silsbyj
    replied
    If you really have the "itch" for a new rifle I would go with a .270. I just bought one this year and I am extremely pleased.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Given you did not state that you have a cartridge in the family go with the .25-'06. You will love it in every way and find many uses for it from p-dawgs to elk.

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    Can't go wrong with a good .270

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    i would go with a good 270 or 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Without a doubt 25-06

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    From what I've seen you do have quite a few good guns and most of them are bigger centerfires. Go with the .25-06 just to have a smaller caliber, plus its a pretty good gun just to have.

Leave a comment:

• peter
    replied
    .35 Rem

Leave a comment:

• infantry08
    replied
    I'm an experienced handloader...I should have put that information in there. I normally shoot 160 gr Partitions out of my 7mm Rem Mag powered by 73.0 Grs of Hogdon Retumbo (Odd, I know, but it shoots extremely well in my T/C Pro Hunter). I do use 140 grain Ballistic tips on occasion...depending on expected shot distances. A heavy load in the .338 with a 250 grain bullet produces power very similar to the .375. Eh I'm just looking for an excuse for a new rifle anyway.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad