Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which gun would you guys pick? A used 16 gauge Stevens shotgun, or a used .30-06. I'm only 15, so I have to save my money and sp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which gun would you guys pick? A used 16 gauge Stevens shotgun, or a used .30-06. I'm only 15, so I have to save my money and sp

Which gun would you guys pick? A used 16 gauge Stevens shotgun, or a used .30-06. I'm only 15, so I have to save my money and spend wisely.

You can do more with the 16ga than with the 30-06, small game up to deer. I would go with the Stevens.

Comment

This is a subjective issue, and the answer to this dilemma will depend on the type of shooting you prefer or project for the year ahead. Where do you spend more of your time, and what gives you the most enjoyment?

Comment

What Palumbo said.

Comment

it all depends on the hunting that you have planned. If you are planning on hunting out west, long distance or game bigger than deer then go with the 30-06 but if you plan on hunting small game, birds, or deer only then go with the shotgun.

Comment

NOT knowing what State your in, And What type of Use your looking for? Its True the Shotgun is for the ONE Gun Hunter from small game to Black Bears. The Rifle is more for a Specialty use, Varmint to Bears with the right Ammo. Its your call!

Comment

Ed J and Tree hit it right . Need to know more about where you are and what you shoot, what you want to hunt.

Comment

What they said!

Comment

Yes, where you live and where you plan to hunt is very important, since the laws and regulations regarding what firearm you can use on what game changes from state to state, as well as ammo(California banning lead for instance)you have to take that all into consideration, also do not limit yourself to just two firearms unless you have no other choice. Do you have a.22 now? are you shooting a family members gun?

Comment

Not enough information. What kind of guns are you looking at? I wouldn't advise you to buy either if they're junk.

Comment

Hi...

Yes, again not enough info.

However, based upon the limited info given, I think that you will find the 16 gauge to be more versatile.

It would be good for wing shooting, small game, and for most big game in the U.S.

Comment

Assuming that this will be your only gun for a long while, I think you should go with the shotgun because it is more versatile. Also, there will be more shooting opportunities for shotgunners than big game rifle shooters.

Comment

The 16 ga shotgun has got to be THE perfect "gauge"! Unfortunately it suffers from a lack of interest that is slowly forcing it into oblivion.
                          The bane of the 16 ga is the 06's forte. Ammo availability.
                          The shotgun will take all sorts of game, large and small.
                          The rifle is more of a large game affair.

Comment

Depends on where your at. If your in Northern Michigan for example the 06 would be a great choice. But if your somewhere south of the rifle line then the 16 would be your best bet as you can shoot and tailor that gun to a lot of different game. Both will kick the heck out of your arm though! Good luck hunting!

Comment

I agree with most of the posts above, but one thing nobody considered is range use. If you want to shoot at a range, and hone in your long distance skills, then you would need the '06. I'm sure that is how many a competition shooter got started.
                              On the other hand. My first long gun was a 16ga. I don't know what ever happened to that gun, but I sure wish I had it back. I now have a safe full of guns, but I would really like my 16ga. back. My cousin had a pump. Mine was a single shot. There was many times I beat him to the second shot with that single shot. Yes, I'd really like to have it back.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad