Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There seems to be a swell of concern about making guns with 3d printers. It is without a doubt a fascinating technology. Curre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dbetzner
    replied
    They did make one with one singular metal piece not printed out the firing pin. It did function. it however didn't survive many rounds before it fell apart. Its akin to the liberator pistol we dropped into France in WW2 they didn't survive many shots either and I think the whole deal of those was stamped for the most part. as far as one of those firearms being a threat to anyone like the media claims no... unless that's a last resort against a tyrannical government as a temporary means to allow allocation of their (tyrannical governments) arms. (i.e. the WW2 liberator pistol)

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    A quick look on Google Products revealed no fewer than 15 manufacturers selling their 3d printers in the $1000 to $2000 price range. Some are selling for $500 bucks. I remember when you couldn't touch these printers for $50,000. As with any technology, it usually drops in price as more companies enter the market. In 5 years, we will be able to buy these printers for $300. Many of these printers support using more than plastic. Everything from chocolate syrup to epoxy can be used in many of these printers. Basically, anything that can be extruded thru a syringe can be used.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I'll be impressed when they develop a program to produce gold on a 3-D printer.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I see the real thrust for 3D printers is in the Medical Field. Mainly to build dental and facial matrix's. They can have the patients own cells grown over them minimizing rejection. Also artificial limbs can also be more patient tailored.

That being said I would ask you to look back between the link of scientific break through and science fiction. Godzilla started out as a Iguana and the Nuclear Explosion on the Bikini Islands. Frankenstein started when Doctor's started doing dissections. Dracula followed when Syphl!ss was discovered to be blood born. In fact Bram Stocker died from it. So it's not that much of a leap to plastic guns gone wild.

Leave a comment:

• Dcast
    replied
    There is no future in this. Although it was done it was done at a extreme cost considering you could go by a top end any handgun for far less than what it took to produce this one gun. As Ncarl said not everyone has the program to do this or the ability to do so even if they had the program which costs at minimum $4995. Then they have to have the printer which is not cheap and I think Jay's pricing is on the ultra low end (maybe missing a zero), considering a paper printer that I use here at work cost $15,000.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    99:Your Dating your self "Zip Guns" Really!
    Some Gun Manufacturers have used 3/D for 2Yrs on small gun parts molds for a CNC Machine. I've been Told.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    I would like to add that using one of these is nothing like using a standard home appliance. These are not simple machines. It takes a lot of skill and training to use one of these. Some people do this for a living. It's not like you can just pull up a picture on any old computer and make it in the printer. You have to be able to create a 3-d drawing in a special computer program and then download it onto the printer and that's just the beginning. Like I said I've done this before and I could hardly draw the model on the computer program.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    It is an interesting theory but I don't think it would be practicable in practice. I do not see it going into mass production, then again I didn't think the horseless carriage had any future either.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Instead of a six-ounce cube of non-functional steel, the inventors could be using a steel barrel and receiver, but then the gun would not really be made by a 3-D printer.
    This reminds me of the zip guns that kids used to make, using car radio antennas for barrels.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Dallas, I was unaware they developed a working prototype! I am impressed! Other than the nail (firing pin) there seems no metal parts.

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    Designing and making your own fishing lures. Crank baits would be a piece of cake. Parts around the house for plastics that have cracked or broken. I see one of these in event home. Like a microwave.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    I've used a 3d printer. There is now way the material they currently use can last with moderate use. I can't see this going past stocks accessories.

Leave a comment:

• GERG
    replied
    Not that it has anything to do with guns but I saw a snippet about this kind of technology being used to reproduce human organs. Think its pretty interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    There has already been a gun made from a 3d printer Edward.

www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    While I see a use for the 3D printer in terms of accessories and possibly a model, the metallurgy involved in producing a working firearm is (at this point) well beyond a 3D printer. As you've mentioned, it may produce grip panels or other accessories but, as I understand it, these parts and components will not come close to withstanding the pressures required of a firearm. This may be the threshold of other capabilities, such as the production of molds for castings, but I doubt we'll see a firearm from a 3D printer in the foreseeable future.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad