Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Per previous post, does WD-40 have a place in your gun closet? What's your favorite (preferred?) "coating" prior to off season s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer your question directly, WD-40 has no place in my gun cabinet or around my firearms. Pretty good for drying out wet automotive parts or temporarily fixing a squeaky cabinet hinge.

Comment

I have never used WD 40 on a firearm. I use Remoil post clean-up.

Comment

I use WD40 to break in a new barrel. I run a WD40 patch through before each shot after cleaning the barrel. This advice came from the VP of Engineering at Lothar Walther who makes sniper barrels for the military. Said it reduces the friction on the first 25 or 30 shots through a new barrel. It has always worked for me. I use RemOil as a lubricant and it seems to work fine.

Comment

I use WD40 to break in a new barrel. I run a WD40 patch through before each shot after cleaning the barrel. This advice came from the VP of Engineering at Lothar Walther who makes sniper barrels for the military. Said it reduces the friction on the first 25 or 30 shots through a new barrel. It has always worked for me. I use RemOil as a lubricant and it seems to work fine.

Comment

After i clean my guns i wipe them down with kerosene and hold them with a cloth while i set them in place. Never have I had as much as a pin head spot of rust, never, in over 55years of gun ownership. Someone put the formula for Hoppes #9 on here some time ago and it was said to be 70% kero with some other additives and perfume. I believe it.
            I like the kero because it leaves a very slight,almost invisible film of oil. Once the gun is exposed to the outside any residual odor of the kero is long gone.
            Another thing i use kero for is leather holsters(unlined). When i get one, new or used, i completely immerse the holster in the kero for several minutes. After that i stand it on end for a week or so till dry. I have had several blued revolvers(S&W,Colt,Ruger) and a Belgian Browning pistol stored in holsters like that for over 40 years - not a trace of damage to any blue. i do not know exactly what the kero does but i suspect it dissolves the caustic chemicals from the tanning process and washes them away. Can't say for sure but i can show you guns stored in leather holsters treated that way that look like new.
            P.S. only one treatment with kero is necessary. That is why i think it is washing some caustic material out of the leather. Just my experience.

Comment

jhjimbo
              After a day of slaughtering ducks on Black Marsh, Pat M. would stop at Weaver's Gro & Mkt and run 50ยข worth of Regular through his M12 Win! (gas was 35.9/gal at the time!)

Honk

I couldn't care less if you gave your guns a bath in West Texas Intermediate crude! But answer me this:

Why would somebody afraid of using a really sharp knife lest he lose fingers, want a oily, slippery shotgun in cold, wet conditions?

Comment

WD-40 certainly plays an important role in my gun cleaning, but NOT as a lubricant or a coating.

After a thorough cleaning of the action (removed from the stock, of course) with a solvent, I use WD-40 to flush the solvent and loosened crud from all nooks and crannies. After allowing to dry completely, I then use Rem Oil to coat the surfaces.

Comment

Bubba,
                  My first experience with a semi-shotgun was a Remington 11-48 12ga. Every time the temperature got down below freezing the gun would go click about every 2nd or 3rd time. Lots of lucky rabbits and a few lucky pheasant. Looking back, i think it was the type of lubricants we had available in the mid '50 that were labeled 'for guns' and how we used them. Little did we know.

Comment

Has no one here herd of Rig grease or a Rig Rag. For the outside barrel and receiver it works great. Most gun stores sell it. Olde English (local gun store) uses them after someone handles a gun off the rack. I keep one in my truck and one in my gun cleaning box.

Comment

I use Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil. The stuff works better than anything I have found, and doesn't gum up in cold weather like other lubricants can.

WD-40 doesn't come anywhere near my guns, or anything with mechanical parts. Its great for breaking loose screws, and fine for squeeky hinges, but that is about it.

Comment

According to my sources, the principle ingredients of Hoppe's #9 are equal parts of kerosene and ethyl alcohol as solvents, ammonia to dissolve copper, amyl acetate for fragrance and oleic acid as a lubricant.
                        Bottoms up!

Comment

Just a splash of Hoppe's No. 9 adds a nice "kick" to a cup of strong coffee with a touch of nutty sweetness.

Comment

I don't know about Mobil-1, but some engine oils contain additives that actually harm metal and wood finishes such as sulfur and phosphorous that attract moisture to form acids.
                            In an engine, most of the moisture is evaporated out at high temperatures but with guns, that moisture just collects on surfaces.
                            Proceed with caution.

Comment

WD-40 or any other liquid in a bore not dry patched before firing risks a dangerous pressure spike if shooting max loads already.

Comment

99, I'm well aware of what you're referring to. It's a non issue. Last I checked, to be up to ILSAC GF-5 spec it was no more than 800 ppm P. and sulfur content is negligible as well. Perhaps you might find the ingredients to some cosmoline interesting, as well as the parkerizing finish on many firearms. Much too long to get into the trivial details but the information is out there should you want to look. Thanks though for bringing that up, should someone want to research it some more. +1 to you.

Bottom line, use the oil/lubrication that makes you feel the most at ease and delivers good performance for your uses.
                                I personally will not allow WD-40 anywhere near one of my firearms, its about as good a lubricant as is weasel piss. PB Blaster is a much better choice if you want to use something remotely similar.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad