Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Per previous post, does WD-40 have a place in your gun closet? What's your favorite (preferred?) "coating" prior to off season s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per previous post, does WD-40 have a place in your gun closet? What's your favorite (preferred?) "coating" prior to off season s

Per previous post, does WD-40 have a place in your gun closet? What's your favorite (preferred?) "coating" prior to off season storage?

Yes! As mentioned before, I keep WD-40 in my gun closet! It is a moisture displacement solvent. We've all hunted in rain or snow. WD-40 can get down into those "crooks and nannies" where water hides and only complete disassembly can get it out.
    When "flushing" out moisture, it's important to store long guns muzzle down so excess solvent doesn't soak into the wood.
    Use Q-tips to get into hard to reach places.
    Wipe cleaned pieces as dry as possible with an absorbent cloth.
    Once reassembled, I use Rem-Oil to lightly coat the exterior, once again storing muzzle down at least a month.
    I never use 3-in-1 oil. It's too viscous and hard to remove and can become extremely "gummy".

Comment

Negative. I use LPS Industrial Strength Lubricant (#2). It displaces moisture, leaves a non-drying film and has rust-inhibiting properties. It was recommended to me many years ago by the most knowledgeable gunsmith I have ever met. It comes in an aerosol can, and is sold in most hardware stores.
      Common 30-weight motor oil was recommended by the least knowledgeable gunsmith I ever met.

Comment

CLP "Cleaner, lubricant, preservative" that means it is made for a gun. I guess folks have been using wd-40 for years however it is often a subject of debate. Now that I have some very nice guns that I really enjoy I don't want to use anything "controversal" on them. My luck the negative side would win out, not gonna chance it.
        Storing with muzzle down is only an option if I had some memory foam or something on the bottm of the safe. I am probably overly carefull, but I wouldn't want something to happen to the crown if the firearm slips, falls etc (yup scaaard)

Comment

As I posted previously to another question about ammo malfunction, WD40 penetrates a bit too well. It is efficient at dispersing water, hence the name Water Dispersant #40. It is death to primers. True, I live in a dry climate, but even if I've had my gun out in the snow I still avoid WD40

Comment

I use Barricade by Birchwood/Casey. It doesn't leave any residue you can see. I don't use much if any oil on my guns cause we are often hunting in pretty cold weather up here in MN. On parts that need lube I use the same lube I use on my breech plug/choke tubes etc.

Comment

I don't use WD-40 on any weapon I have because I have seen it do nasty things to weapons and I don't wnat that to happen to mine. I use Hopes #9 or CLP on all my weapons.

Comment

I'll have to try and locate the LPS or CLP. I'm not adverse to learning something new. If it's better for gun cleaning/storage, I'm willing to give it a whirl.

hengst
                As far as storing "muzzle down", be brave!
                Here's what happens.
                A clean gun stands in a corner (okay, butt down!) all summer. Cleaning fluids, solvents, lubricants, etc are overcome by gravity and "gravitate" DOWN. The most vulnerable part of a stock (wooden anyway) is the wrist. As those petroleum products soak into the wood, they destroy the "connecting" tissue, weakening the wrist. Muzzle down storage is a precaution!
                Try a 2x4 with a 1" paddle bit hole about 3/8" deep. The wood soaks up excess fluid and protects the muzzle.
                Just one of my little "quirks"! LOL!

Comment

3-in-1 oil is the best gun surface wipe down I have seen yet. It IS sticky and because I hunt hard in terrible conditions I require something that is going to last through the day crawling through wet brush or tulies ... or a couple of days of it if I'm in camp. I don't use it in the mechanism. I clean the guts with Hoppes and leave it at that. When I put the guns away at end of season I will usually wipe the guts down with a light oil, sometimes WD40. The only drawback to 3-in-1 oil is the odor. For still hunters in particular this might be of some concern. I'd say at least a day or two is necessary for outgassing.

Comment

Hey Honk! Why don't you just get you a jug of Pennzoil 30w? ...or maybe some 10w-40 for cold weather performance! LOL!

Comment

What a can of worms!

Listen up gents, go buy yourself a quart of mobil 1 0W-20. Works fantastic!

I've never used wd-40 on a firearm ever, and don't plan on it.

Comment

I've heard to many bad things about wd-40, especially when it comes to the finishes on wood. I don't know if its true or not but I don't want to take the chance to find out. CLP for me. My dad always used 3 in 1 oil too. Doesn't seem to effect his collection of old winchester model 12's.

Comment

Bubba, if you hunt like I do (and we all know you don't), you'll need the tough stuff. Hunting from the seat of an ATV or an armchair certainly might warrant something light like WD40. It would also do fine if you're just into range shooting. But that stuff is GONE after fifteen minutes (or less!) in wet brush. 3-in-1 is still beading water on the metal two days later. My guns would be a rusty pile of junk today if I hadn't given up on WD40 thirty years ago. But for your uses I'm sure it works just fine.

Comment

I currently use Remoil, but I had used WD-40 for years.

Comment

USE frog Lube or CLP. I am not one to jump on bandwagons but the stuff works and is not gummy. OHH I admit that I do not elk hunt and Hunt deer from tree stands but when rabbit hunting I am in cutovers that are truly hellish and in duck swamps that are as thick and as wet as anything the west has to over. Tough Hunting conditions can be found across the country and God forbid someone does not make it harder on themselves than it really needs to be.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad