Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a retirement gift from the US Navy, I am considering purchasing a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .270 Win. I prefer a 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a retirement gift from the US Navy, I am considering purchasing a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .270 Win. I prefer a 22

As a retirement gift from the US Navy, I am considering purchasing a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .270 Win. I prefer a 22" barrel vice 24" barrel. If I shorten the barrel, what affect will this have on accuracy? Many thanks!

No effect on accuracy, but, you will lose about 150 fps of velocity for a .270 type cartridge. About 75fps for each inch of barrel..

Comment

How well the muzzle is crowned after the cut will have more to do with accuracy than the two inches of barrel lost.

Comment

Good posts above, but personally, I would stay with the 24-inch barrel on a .270 WCF.
        Jack O'Connor once had a frightening adventure while climbing on a cliff face that he thought could have been avoided if he had a shorter barrel on his rifle. Thereafter, he specified 22-inch barrels on all of his custom-built rifles.
        I think he over-reacted to a once-in-a-lifetime incident.

Comment

Thanks for the all the posts so far.

99Explorer, I have a short build and 22" would be easier to maneuver. Any comments on performance loss?

Comment

Shortening the barrel may increase accuracy but at the cost of about 50 fps with the shorter barrel. It will be loader too.

Comment

Any thoughts on the 270 WSM with the shorter bbl? Velocity loss may not be as pronounced. I may be wrong on that so check it out.

Safado and S.D are definately right on the accuracy statements

Comment

Sorry, Happy retirement and welcome aboard to vet status

Comment

When and If you have the Barrel Cut to 22" the "crown" is most Important part for Accuracy,Velocity loss is 75FPS/Per-inch Removed on a .270W/SG and Bullet weight you chose to shoot counts also.~JMO have the Best Gunsmith in your Area to Cut&Crown your Barrel.
                  Welcome Home and Good Luck on your Project.

Comment

There is real pretty Jack O'Connor commemorative M70 in 270 (of course) that is a step up from the Super Grade in wood. Wonder what length it has. Retail is right around 2300-2500 though.

Comment

"Winchester M70 Jack O'Connor Custom Tribute .270 Win. 22" barrel, black fore end, inletted sling swivels, Mauser claw extractor, beautiful bluing and gorgeous AAA Walnut with check piece and custom checkering pattern! Patterned after Jack O'Connor's famous custom .270 Win. Complete looks and feel of a custom rifle at an afordable price. VERY LIMITED production. This one is NEW IN THE BOX!"

This, from an online auction. I have seen one of these in my LGS. Price for the auction was $2450, American.

Comment

GoNavy777

If bbl length is a concern, look into the Ruger No. 1. The "falling block" action loses three to four inches in OAL! If the Win M70 is preferred, find a competent 'smith and have it cut down. In the grand scheme of things, 150fps isn't much, especially if you hand load.

Comment

Navy,
                          Performance of the.270win from a 22" barrel would only amount to 150fps out of between 3,000 and 3200fps depending on bullet weight. Not much of a factor.
                          Another consideration is if the high $$$ rifle is standard in 24" and you choose 22", the value could be affected.
                          Noise will be a little louder and you could get a bigger muzzle blast. As others have stated the cutting and crowning of the shortened barrel is of utmost importance for maintaining accuracy.
                          A 30-06 could be another consideration as it works fine from a 22" barrel and offers a little more versatility as far as bullet weights.
                          In any event, enjoy your new rifle. Jim

Comment

I don't know chit about guns but thank you for your service.

Comment

If the engineers at the Winchester factory thought that a shorter barrel was a good idea, they could have saved the company some money in production costs.
                              The .270 was designed as a long range hunting rifle.
                              As a consumer, I would not do anything to alter the balance of the rifle, or to reduce its muzzle steadiness and bullet velocity, while increasing its muzzle blast and recoil.
                              You can always change your mind later.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by crm3006
                                PigHunter-A machete will certainly do the job for a snake, and I have used one more than once. However, the .45 is a lot easier to carry, maybe not less...
                                Today, 08:46 PM
                              • What's on your belt?
                                by PigHunter
                                What are you carrying on your belt this season? Here's what I had yesterday for my solo hunt on public land.

Knife - discontinued Browning...
                                11-29-2020, 06:03 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by 99explorer
                                BHR -

You got that right.
                                Today, 08:29 PM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by 99explorer
                                Then I guess you already know the election results. My condolences.
                                Today, 08:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X