Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a .177 cal. air rifle (pellet gun) enough to take down a small grey squirrel with a head shot? I've used this gun to shoot mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a .177 cal. air rifle (pellet gun) enough to take down a small grey squirrel with a head shot? I've used this gun to shoot mo

Is a .177 cal. air rifle (pellet gun) enough to take down a small grey squirrel with a head shot? I've used this gun to shoot mourning doves, ferral pigeons, starlings, english sparrows, and bullfrogs before, and eve without a scope on it, I have really good accuracy with a Predator Ploy Mag Pellet. I am a fly tier, and use all the feathers of the birds I shoot and trap, so naturally I wonder if squirrel tails will be next on my gathered materials.

if it produces 8 or more ft-lbs then yes, it can.

Comment

It is also illegal to take game with pellet rifle in most states. You may want to check you states F&G web site.

Comment

Yes 177 cal pellets have taken alot of squirrels,be sure they are in season and know your state laws. My brother is somewhat an air gun legend,he has taken many small game animals with one shot clean kills,coons foxes squirrels etc.Check out Air gun headquarters.One last thought be careful with the shooting of birds many are protected and mourning dove maynot be shot with any rifle.

Comment

Thank you for everything. I live in washington state, but I am going to oregon for squirrel hunting season.

Comment

Hi...

Yes, the .177 air rifle can easily take squirrels, and many other small game animals.

Comment

Kind of depends on the rifle too, but most of today’s air rifles, shooting .177 pellets at 1,000 fps or more, can easily take squirrels at reasonable range. When I was a kid I shot plenty of squirrels and rabbits with my old Crossman pump.

Comment

After years of not hunting with any thing smaller than a .22 for squirrel, I got the grandson a Daisy pellet gun in .117/bb. I was surprised at how powerful it was just shooting targets. I came home one day and was presented by him with a squirrel he had shot. That is all it took to convince me that it would be a good squirrel gun. Since then I have bought for myself an air gun in .177/.22 cal. Hoping to hit the woods this week on our opening day and get a few squirrels.

Comment

yes actually that's all my grandpa uses and I've even seen him kill a rabbit with it

Comment

I've killed my fair share of squirrels with a .177 caliber air rifle. Just be sure you're following all state and federal laws and seasons when it comes to shooting critters.

Comment

make sure you are legit! in my state it's scatter gun only, sadly since i would love to take my .177 into the woods.

Comment

Yes, a .117 can take down a squirrel. I have seen many people do it.

Comment

Originally posted by youngoutdoorsman2001 View Post
                          Thank you for everything. I live in washington state, but I am going to oregon for squirrel hunting season.
                          Hey we should go out on a hunt sometime I live in Washington too so we could, I'm only ten though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad