Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for right-handed 1911 shooters: Do you shoot with your strong-hand thumb over or under the safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for right-handed 1911 shooters: Do you shoot with your strong-hand thumb over or under the safety?

Question for right-handed 1911 shooters: Do you shoot with your strong-hand thumb over or under the safety?

Under

Comment

I rest my thumb on top of the safety with mild downward pressure on the first shot(s), without pressing my thumb against the slide, because I have squeezed the trigger and NOT disengaged the safety. Now that can be embarrassing! I try not to make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Under

Comment

Under, after I double check that the safety is off. Yep I have done that a time or two myself.

Comment

On the 1911 forum, there seems to be a preference for the thumb over the safety, to prevent the thumb from accidentally bumping the safety up to the "on" position during a string of shots.
            The down side of this practice is the risk of a slide bite on the thumb, and reduced pressure on the grip safety, resulting in the same problem as bumping the manual safety on. Hence, the need for speed bumps on the grip safety.
            I prefer the same grip that I use with revolvers: thumb down.

Comment

Under.

Comment

under, never had my thumb bump the safty to on i would do what was comfortable

Comment

Under. Always.

Comment

I shoot with it under

Comment

Under always seemed best for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad