Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only have one and only hunting rifle for the household (son-17, daughter 12, and wife?), what would you choose? I n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    I'd choose a home without such restrictions. I know of elk having been killed with a .22 but it is not an elk rifle. Nor would I hunt cottontails with a .30-06 even if it is the most versitile caliber. I know two guys who have each killed six elk apiece with .243 win but neither would call the .243 an elk rifle. .243 is excellent for deer and antelope. I would consider it marginal for hogs that are better served with a caliber starting with 3. While a few calibers come close, there is no real one size fits all. If there was we wouldn't have so many calibers.

Leave a comment:

• aldeureaux
    replied
    Depending on the game, I would go with one of the 25s. If ammo was more available, I would vote for the .257 Roberts. 250 Savage ammo isn't plentiful either. That pretty much leaves the .25-06 which is a great round if the ladies can shoot it with no problems. If you go with the .243, which is also a great choice, just be advised that a deer bullet doesn't do well on BIG hogs.

Leave a comment:

• aldeureaux
    replied
    Depending on the game, I would go with one of the 25s. If ammo was more available, I would vote for the .257 Roberts. 250 Savage ammo isn't plentiful either. That pretty much leaves the .25-06 which is a great round if the ladies can shoot it with no problems. If you go with the .243, which is also a great choice, just be advised that a deer bullet doesn't do well on BIG hogs.

Leave a comment:

• cb bob
    replied
    .308 is a good choice. Like sarge01 said,125gn. sierra pro hunters in a reduced load, my Wife, and daughter can shoot them.

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    Another vote for the .308. Ammo availability is good, and different loads will help with the recoil.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Jerry, I would get the NEF single shot with a 30-30 or
    .243 barrel and a 16ga or 20ga shotgun barrel with modified choke. The barrels are easily changed with nothing but a screwdriver. They are easy to shoot and not complicated. This way any family member can hunt big game, small game, birds or varmints.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    Along with several others, my 2 cents is for the .25-06

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I'll throw out the 30-30 as a good choice. More modern cartridges would be the 25-06, 7mm-08, 7X57, 243.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    If the .25-06 isn't what you're after, Mr. Palumbos .250 savage is one heck of a good caliber also.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    I am with DakotaMan. The 25-06 would be my pick, aside by it being a little less easy to find ammo in comparison to the .308,7mm-08 or .243 I think it is a much better round ballistically.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    I have both the .308 and the 7mm-08, and I'd strongly recommend the 7mm-08 with a 120 gr. bullet for deer and smaller, and a 140 gr for more punch.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I'd chosen such a rifle a long time ago...a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight Carbine in .250 Savage with a Redfield 3-9X scope on the receiver, and there's a photo of it in my profile photos. For what's available in my area (varmints to deer), this is a good choice for us.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    What bruisedsausage said. I'm not a big fan of big green but the model 7 in 308 would be perfect.

Leave a comment:

• JPMNTMAN
    replied
    308 good all around choice

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    There is no way I'd give my daughter a 30-06. I've even seen 15 year old boys stop hunting because of its recoil.

I suggest a 25-06 for a rifle that is fun to shoot and delivers the goods. There is something for everybody from light 75g bullets that have hardly any recoil to 120g bullets that will plant an elk (yes, its light for elk but works fine out to 300 yards... the largest elk taken in South Dakota a few years ago was a young lady with a 25-06). They are about 1000 fps faster than the average .308 and at least 500 fps faster than the fastest 110g bullet in the .308. Recoil of the 100g bullet is similar to the same weight bullet in the .243 but it really plants deer and antelope. Recoil is less than a .308 or a 7mm/08. I wouldn't trade my 25-06 for any of those mentioned in a pinch, especially if I had a 12 year old girl shooting. For varmints and target I'd give her the 75g bullets. For deer, I'd give her the 90g Barnes... deadly out to 400 yards at 3600 fps and scant recoil. Dad and son can shoot the 100gs and 120g for anything they want to hunt. I shoot about 5000 75g bullets for every 100g or 120g I shoot. I shoot a lot of 90g bullets too. Lower recoil than .308 or 7mm/08 but much harder hitting.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad