Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only have one and only hunting rifle for the household (son-17, daughter 12, and wife?), what would you choose? I n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only have one and only hunting rifle for the household (son-17, daughter 12, and wife?), what would you choose? I n

If you could only have one and only hunting rifle for the household (son-17, daughter 12, and wife?), what would you choose? I need a gun that will deliver when placed on the right spot and will not rattle your teeth.

The .243 Win. has long been a favorite for recoil-sensitive shooters, and is suitable for shooting everything from varmints to whitetail deer.

Comment

You didn't mention what you were hunting? But even without that knowledge I would very highly recommend a 7mm-08. Should work for most anything in the lower 48, from coyotes to Elk. Also for a platform might I suggest a Remington model 7? Should be a decent compromise/tradeoff for everyone.

Comment

.308 Win. Mild recoil, every manufacturer makes one, wide selection of factory ammunition, reasonably priced ammo and will take all non-dangerous North American game within reasonable ranges.

Comment

My .308. I loaded 125 grain Sierra Pro Hunter managed recoil loads for my 11 year old grandson and they would do for my wife. I load full size loads for myself and for my now 12 year old grandson. The bullet selection for 30 caliber is vast. I can think of no better gun to have if I have to go with only one.

Comment

I would go with the .30-06, lots of factory cartridges available in every possibility plus what you can handload. Also so many rifles out there too, new and used, many at very reasonable prices.

Comment

Comment

With all due respect, unless JerryM1212 handloads; I would not recommend a 30-06 for 12 year old girl. I developed a flinch as a youngster from shooting a light 30-06 with a butt plate.

Comment

7mm-08 or .308 Winchester would be one of few modern cartridges that fit all your criteria for hte folks listed. Neither in a light rifle.

Comment

243W or 7mm/08 Rem both are the softest recoiling calibers in a Rem M-7 Compac.

Comment

.243 bolt action Combo . Its very accurate and suitable for what you describe. It works very well for deer sized game.

Comment

Another vote for the .243 or 7mm-08. If your daughter has never shot before the .308 might be a little much but is a great caliber/cartridge. If at all possible beg or borrow examples and have the family try them out. Like lots of other folks I am assuming you are after deer.

Comment

I'm sure everyone is expecting me to say 30-06, but for that diverse spread of potential users I'll agree with .308 instead.

Comment

There is no way I'd give my daughter a 30-06. I've even seen 15 year old boys stop hunting because of its recoil.

I suggest a 25-06 for a rifle that is fun to shoot and delivers the goods. There is something for everybody from light 75g bullets that have hardly any recoil to 120g bullets that will plant an elk (yes, its light for elk but works fine out to 300 yards... the largest elk taken in South Dakota a few years ago was a young lady with a 25-06). They are about 1000 fps faster than the average .308 and at least 500 fps faster than the fastest 110g bullet in the .308. Recoil of the 100g bullet is similar to the same weight bullet in the .243 but it really plants deer and antelope. Recoil is less than a .308 or a 7mm/08. I wouldn't trade my 25-06 for any of those mentioned in a pinch, especially if I had a 12 year old girl shooting. For varmints and target I'd give her the 75g bullets. For deer, I'd give her the 90g Barnes... deadly out to 400 yards at 3600 fps and scant recoil. Dad and son can shoot the 100gs and 120g for anything they want to hunt. I shoot about 5000 75g bullets for every 100g or 120g I shoot. I shoot a lot of 90g bullets too. Lower recoil than .308 or 7mm/08 but much harder hitting.

Comment

308 good all around choice

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                The fact check proves nothing unless from a reliable and unbiased source. And any information from his POS attorney means nothing either, just WTF would...
                                Today, 06:22 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by Danbo
                                Just looking for ammunition that they didn't have.

My head was hung a little 😉

They have three guns left all Savage bolts...
                                Today, 06:16 PM
                              • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by FirstBubba
                                We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                                NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                                Today, 10:45 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                When Donald Trump first exploded on the political scene, he was an unpredictable rule breaker and neither the news media nor anyone else knew how to handle...
                                Today, 06:08 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X