Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you guys tell me, is 5 inch groupings at 50 yards with a six shot .22 revolver, open sights, six inch barrel, a far shot? Or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Quinton after you have mastered the handgun fundamentals, you will want to move up to large calibers. That is were the fun/skill starts. After you experience a few heavy recoils you might/will start anticipating the recoil. "Flinching" just like there is no crying in baseball there is no flinching in shooting. The best way to see if you developed this is have a friend load several empties in a revolver. Hand it to you. You might see when you fire an empty chamber your hand will jerk downward.
    How do you correct this? First know it does not hurt, unless you smack yourself in the head. Second the same way you get to Carnage Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    Carl, Thank you, I didn't take your post the wrong way, I appreciate your advice, and some genuine critique.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Very true 99, but what would you rather think about BATS or BRAS?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    When I was in basic training in the U.S. Army, the acronym we were taught was "BATS," for breathe, aim take up the slack and squeeze.
    We were told to exhale half of your breath and hold the rest until you fire.
    Some teachers of marksmanship say you should be exhaling slowly as you squeeze the trigger.
    I've practiced it both ways and it makes little or no difference, so I take three deep breaths and exhale half of the third.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Then I say you are you are a natural!! Keep it up, you should be proud!

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Quinton that was good shooting and please don't take my post the wrong way. You are two thirds there. You have a good sight picture and trigger control. Now practice off hand See if you can shoot as good as the pistol. You can't bring a table to a gun fight or hunting. I gave my boys some advice and it's a word most guy's like and remember. "BRAS"----Breath, Release, Aim and Squeeze. Good shooting and be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    That's pretty darn good shootin' Quinton!

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    And no I was not using a sandbag rest per-say, I was kneeling, resting on the wooden bench...

Leave a comment:

• Quinton Schmelzenbach
    replied
    RJ Arena: This was the first time I had shot this gun, I had spent about 20 minutes warming up with it before shooting at that distance.
    This was the first time I had pulled the trigger on any firearm since November. I have shot a piston three time in my life before this... Does that answer your question?

Carl Huber: I know that is what this sounds like, but it is not. I am not that familiar with shooting, I have not done a whole lot of it in my life, and so I am actually wondering if I was doing good, or if the guys I was shooting with were just making me feel good.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    A .22 revolver at 50 yards is about 3 times its designed purpose. A 5" group is pretty darn good. At 50 feet it would be Ok, at 50 yards it borders on great.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Tommy M. shot police competition. I've seen him eat the heart out of a silhouette target at 50 yards with a customized 4" S&W M66!! But Tommy burned up 1000/1500 rounds a month! A 5" group offhand at 50 yards? Not bad I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    I would like to know what your shooting experiences are to ask this question, do you shoot a lot with your 22? do you mostly shoot shotgun or rifle? I would thing for myself that would be pretty good shooting with iron sights, 5" groups at 50 yards is quite respectable.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    This post reminds me when a girl used o ask "do these pants make my but look fat". She was either looking for a compliment or a lie. As Dakota said a 5 inch group is nothing to sneeze at and 99 said that is the potential of the hand gun.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I think that would be an excellent group if it were shot from a sandbag rest, about par for the potential of the revolver.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Normal indoor pistol competition takes places at 1/3 that distance with iron sights. For normal offhand shooting, a very good shooter will put 10 shots through the same hole at 50 feet. They scroll paper behind the target to verify that indeed 10 shots have gone through the one .22 caliber hole. Not too many competitors can do that (shoot a group size of 0 inches center-to-center) but most will shoot a .25 inch group. That equates to about a half inch group center-to-center at 50 yards. However, they are using good gear with a very light (1-2 oz) trigger and match ammo and tens of thousands of rounds of practice.

A non-competitive shooter with a revolver, hunting trigger and cheap ammo is doing pretty well to achieve a 6 inch group at 50 yards. I'd say you did pretty well for the circumstances.

With about two weeks of practice focusing on the front sight and solidifying your trigger squeeze, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2.5 inch six shot group.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad