Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger 77 vs Remington 700.

Ruger 77 vs Remington 700.

Both are excellent. I have/had both and liked them both.

Comment

Both great rifles. I'd say take the one you love the most and can afford. I personally prefer the feel, finish and 3-position safety on the Rugers but if you intend to upgrade with new stocks, triggers, barrels, etc. the Rem 700 can't be beat for aftermarket parts. The Rem 700 is usually less expensive too, depending on the model you choose.

Comment

Both good guns for the money, both accurate and reliable. Both usually need a little tinkering to get to their full accuracy potential. The Ruger factory trigger is basically non adjustable, but older Remington triggers are fairly easy to adjust, by a competent gunsmith. The Ruger has a Mauser type action with a claw extractor, and the Remington does not. I have never experienced an extraction problem with either. This is a Ford/Chevy personal preference decision.

Comment

I've had both and liked the Rem. 700 a good bit better, but this was many years ago when trigger adjustment was a job for a gunsmith, etc. Sold the Ruger, but might not be so quick to do so today. Excellent rep for both.

Comment

I have no recent experience with either.
            BUT....
            I like the look and feel of the M77 over the Rem. Rwm "usta" be a little better than the M77, but I'm not so sure anymore. The early M77's suffered somewhat in the accuracy department, but I never had one that wasn't capable of deer accuracy.
            When the M77 came out, it was about the best "moderately" priced rifle on the market. (late 70's?)
            Today?
            I'd say a pretty good toss-up! Follow your instincts.

Comment

I have had both and the 700's were more accurate in the calibers that I had.

Comment

For varminting, I load singly and prefer the push feed of the Rem 700; however, for deer and general use in the field, I load from the magazine and have no preference, so the controlled feed of the Ruger M77 (M98 Mauser, etc) is fine. For aesthetic reasons, I think the classic look and feel of the Ruger M77 sporter is difficult to beat, but both are excellent choices. What chambering are you considering?

Comment

After a Fella named Pennington at Ruger burned me on two rifles, 25-06 and 300 Win Mag, I'll stick with Remington hands down.

Comment

Tell us about this, Coop. What happened?

Comment

Ditto~Ed...Ruger 77/98M Gets my Vote.

Comment

I own one of each in .270 Winchester. The Remington has the edge in accuracy -- and I've done absolutely nothing to it to make it that way, it just is. Having said that, I enjoy hunting with both. I also have a Model 70 Featherweight in .308. Once again, it doesn't have the accuracy of the Remington, but its a pleasure to carry and shoot.

Comment

The new Weatherby Vanguard 2 is a better rifle than either. Yes I have owned several of both. The V-2 is one of the best values in bolt guns you can buy. Savage makes some good ones too. Don't forget good glass and rings.

Comment

BTW the rifle in my avatar is a 700 classic in 350 Remington magnum. I recently traded that kicking son of a .... for a shotgun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad