Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have looked at the Remington M887 shotgun. Ive handled it in a gun shop in OK. They said it was a great gun? Went to my home t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have looked at the Remington M887 shotgun. Ive handled it in a gun shop in OK. They said it was a great gun? Went to my home t

I have looked at the Remington M887 shotgun. Ive handled it in a gun shop in OK. They said it was a great gun? Went to my home town gun shop and they wont even stock it? They say it sucks? This will be a waterfowl gun and very abused. Im an 870 guy for 30yrs plus. I really like the M887 by feel. Basically I cant get a straight answer from any one? I have looked all over the web,same thing. Id really like to hear from you guys and what you think about it. Ontario you are the person I think could answer this better than anyone but all comments are welcome and appreciated. Really need some help guys. My son is really wanting a new duck gun and it will be a pump. We hunt in some pretty rough conditions. He also has to pay for half. That should narrow it down. I like the look and feel of th M887 but he likes the Benilli super nova. Desperate need of advice fellas. Help me.

GERG, I was in the same boat this past winter. I looked at the Stoeger p-350, Benelli super nova, mossberg 835, and the M887. My friend bought the nova and loved it during the early season. Then came the cold weather and the action keep freezing, I think this was a user error though. I bought the M887. I have no complaints with mine, even during the cold weather. I have used it to kill rabbits and a turkey so far, I have only had it since a week after Christmas.

Comment

Hey GERG!

Escaped the Okie snows only to get snowed on in Ark! WOW! What a crazy spring. Frost (May 2nd!) killed my 'maters n peppers last night!

Amigo, there's too many good, solid, used Rem 870's out there. Yeah, I know you want to give Beaudreaux a "new" gun, but new/used ain't nearly as important as "WHO" handed it to him! Give him quality first.

Comment

Canvasback, your buddies gun just needs a cleaning and some G96. A pump shouldn't "freeze" due to cold weather.

I agree with bubba. The 870 is tried and proven. Ive never handled one but I hear the 887 is a cheap laminated version of the 870 anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. My 870 is failing after many years (1968-2013). It's not wanting to eject 3" mag empties half the time. I examined an 877 for the first time in a Sheels store at Grand Forks on my way to Montana last fall. I was NOT impressed. Sorry, I know nothing about Benelli. I have been shooting the same gun since 1968 so I really have little knowledge about what's on the market today. Really sorry to disappoint you. Shop around and see what's used. I always liked the Ithaca pump actions. They are quite pricey new I believe but maybe something used might be affordable. I really believe buying a new gun is about as dopey as buying a new truck. And a lot less can go wrong with a used gun than a used vehicle.

Comment

I guess you can tell I was "really" tired when I wrote that!

Comment

Sorry, that should read 887 at Scheels. I was tired!

Comment

I have a Benelli Nova that has been severally abused for several seasons and I have nothing bad to say about it. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Comment

Thanks guys appreciate the input. Still arent sure what to do. More reasearch is in order.

Comment

GERG- My wife decided to name our little yellow lab female Benelli, and then decided she wanted to hunt along side her. A new pump gun was in order, and when given her options, my wife decided to go with a Nova. Out of the box it was making light primer hits and only firing maybe 1/4 of the shells. Benelli (not my dog) was very good about repairs, and in a timely and free fashion, it returned in great working condition. I would purchase the same gun all over again given the need. That said I am partial to the 870 as it was my first gun purchase I ever made at the ripe age of nine years old, it is still shooting strong after being carried through Maine's grouse woods for 10 years by a kid.

Comment

I have the Benelli Nova and I love the gun, I have not had one problem with it, I also have a 870 and its an amazing gun as well. I have looked at the M887 a few times and I just dont like how they feel and how the barrel is set up. I dont know, maybe the way they have the barrel in plastic is ok, but something with that gun just does not feel right. I would go with a Benelli, but thats just me.

Comment

I've shot the Benelli nova many of times a friend has one he has used as a boat oar an instrument to lift has sorry butt out of the frozen river and about every other thing to neglect the gun and it kept on shooting. He had one problem last year during dove hunting. He must have missed some corn stalk that was in his firing spring and it wouldn't shoot. I took it apart in the field to see what was up and found a hunk of stalk in it once removed everything was ok. You cannot go wrong with it. Only complaint is that they are HEAVY! I could go on about 870's(I use to own one but sold it as quickly as possible) and have many of times here, all that I'm going to say is by an older used model. Another option is the Winchester SXP, I bought one this year and love it so far.

Comment

For what's worth, I've used a Mossberg 835 pump for many years and its never failed. A very robust shotgun that you won't feel bad about dropping in the duck boat or getting wet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad