Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next fall I will most likley be living in the middle of nowhere where I will have access to 800 acers of hunting land 30 minuets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw your photo collection and I knew you were already a bird hunter. Guess I should have figured there was a good reason you needed something else to hunt at that place. No birds is the best reason. Maybe you'll have to travel a bit and meet me in another state (or country). A hundred bucks for bird license either here or in Montana.

Comment

Ontario, Might take you up on that one of these days. Life's busy and crazy now but who knows in a couple years.

Comment

Your 30-06 will be a fine varmint rifle with 110g bullets as long as it is accurate. I load them to 3400 fps and no coyote will outrun them. They are deadly accurate at 500 yards and the recoil is light enough that you can shoot hundreds in practice. Put a good long range scope on your rifle if you need to reach out there. Consider a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x if your rifle is accurate. If you can see them, you can flatten them!

My favorite is a 25-06 with 75g or 87g bullets but a .243 with 58g bullets will suite you well too. Both of these rifles are deadly on coyotes at 500 yards and beyond and they double as excellent deer/antelope rifles. They have such low recoil, you can shoot all day and they are plenty FAST and FLAT at 3700-3800 fps.

If you are exclusively shooting varmints a 22-250 is great too but it drops off much faster than the above cartridges beyond 300 yards and it is marginal for deer. The .223 works fine too and is very economical as long as your shots are less than 300 yards. I like the .223 on foxes because they barely make a mark on that light hide.

Comment

Forgot to mention... you can see coyotes from a LONG ways away in Iowa after the corn is down. Most guys don't shoot at them that far though because they don't shoot accurate rifles or have 3-9x scopes on their deer rifles. Most are shotgun deer hunters who plug a coyote now and then within 100 yards. Get iHunt on your iPhone and an inexpensive speaker and get after them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad