Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next fall I will most likley be living in the middle of nowhere where I will have access to 800 acers of hunting land 30 minuets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next fall I will most likley be living in the middle of nowhere where I will have access to 800 acers of hunting land 30 minuets

Next fall I will most likley be living in the middle of nowhere where I will have access to 800 acers of hunting land 30 minuets from where I will live. The only problem is I will still be out of state and will have a problem getting tags. Im wanting to hunt anyway so I am toying around with buying an electronic caller and and realy doing this coyote hunting thing right. All I will need is a fur bearer and hunting license which can be bought over the counter pretty cheap. Ill probably start with my ruger M77 chambered in 30-06 but if I have any success I might invest in a coyote gun. I never like spending a lot of money on a gun for one type of game so I want to get somthing cheap. Im looking at the savage axis. As far as I know it runs around $290. I cant find this rifle on the bass pro or cabelas websites so I assume they dont carry it. Anybody know somewhere that carries this rifle? Also, what caliber do you suggest? I was thinking .223 rem or 22-250. My number one priortiy when choosing a caliber is availablity, understandable these days. But I also want a caliber thats pretty cheap because I would like to practice with it a lot.

Ncarl what part of the hemisphere you in?

If you reload, 130's in a 308 or 30-06 works Pretty D' Fine for both Yodel Dogs and Monster Mule Deer. Flat shooting, cranks out of the barrel like a 223 and less recoil than 150's. I've shot thousands of these bullets in open country and found they work better than the heavier weights

Comment

I would be hard pressed to buy a rifle just for coyotes. My other rifles need the work and kill them just fine. My 150 gr handloads seem very effective on them.

Comment

Gander Mountain has them in stock, As for an all around Caliber from Varmint to Black Bears the Old stand-by 243Win...from a 58Gr to 115Gr Ammo.

Comment

Clay, I would be hunting in Iowa. A lot of open ground around there. Potential for very long shots but I'm not that practiced when it comes to rifles and would probably hope for shots 200 yards and in. But I should be able to get a lot more practicing in once I move. Ill be closer to places I can shoot long range. I just have a hard time justifying practicing with ammo the way it is these days. I'm plenty good enough to kill deer I would just like to be better.

Comment

Forgot, I dont reload.

Comment

A 22-250 is pretty hard to beat, especially since you have an 06 for larger game. I have used many different varmint calibers and always seem to go back to a 22-250.

Comment

A situation like you are looking at is why it is time to get into reloading. A custom load to tweak your '06 for a specific purpose. If you could reload you would have the use of the Berger VLD bullets in light weights. Just what the doctor ordered. Some company may load them in '06, worth checking it out. Check with Berger...

Comment

30-06 accelerators might be an option for varmints. I don't know much about them but they were used in the 90's for varmints around here when the coyotes moved in. .243 is what i use now in PA.

Comment

Why these fine gents are trying to talk you out of buying a new rifle to add to the collection is beyond me. I should warn you, they most certainly aren't your friends.(Kiddin'!!) Pick up a .22-250 and enjoy it. I am not familiar with the axis but have heard that it is well received. Good luck in your yote hunting and congrats on the move!

Comment

i bought a 223 savage axis from walmart. 300 with taxes

Comment

22-250, try to get a fast twist 1:9 or faster so that you can shot the heavier bullets.

Comment

I agree with above suggestions (or implied suggestions): reloading setup is cheaper than buying a new rifle.

In the meantime, maybe consider buying a non-resident bird license?

Comment

Ontario and redfish, I would but the pheasant and quail populations in SW Iowa has been devistated. They are there but are few and far between. It will take years of dry springs and mild winters for the population to recover. I would waterfowl hunt but there is no big water in the area to hold a huntable number of birds. I should add that it's my grandparents farm so I have hunted it many a times but I live so far away right now.

Comment

Also, I already waterfowl hunt and have all the non resident licenses necessary for Iowa. It's just the land I will be so close to doesn't hold any birds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                                Today, 06:44 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                                Today, 06:35 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X