Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.22 WMR or .223 for coyotes? most shots will not be over 150 yards. also, what are some good rifles chambered in these calibers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 WMR or .223 for coyotes? most shots will not be over 150 yards. also, what are some good rifles chambered in these calibers?

.22 WMR or .223 for coyotes? most shots will not be over 150 yards. also, what are some good rifles chambered in these calibers? looking to spend no more than $250

Cant go wrong with the .223. Under $250 with a scope would be hard to find. Maybe a used one?

Comment

Use enough gun. You probably want to go with .223, especially at 100+ yds.

Comment

.223 iver. 22 mag. Look at the H&R Handi-rifle.

Comment

bubba, I have one of those in .243 win. it is giving me problems and I have had enough. plus ammo is a little expensive. anyway, how about the rossi wizard? how much is that?

Comment

I own both and recommend the .223 for coyotes. I rely on the .22 WMR for ground squirrels and other small game but can't recommend the rimfire cartridge for coyotes.

Comment

Ed J. has it right. Even a coyote deserves a quick humane kill. Stay with the centerfire calibers.

Comment

by far 223

Comment

I would go with .223

Comment

i recently bought a savage axis 223. it came out to like 300 with taxes. i got it at walmart. my first 223 so i didnt want to break the bank plus im on a budget. i read good reviews on it. and its already tapped for a scope.

Comment

The 223 is a good choices...But look for some USED Rifle in 22HI-POWER,218Bee,219Donaldson Wasp,220Swift,22-250R,204Ruger..There are so many good old timie Rifles in grate calibers that will still do a great JOB better then a 22WMR. my/2Cents.

Comment

223 is the best choice. or u could get a 17wsm when it comes out at the end of the year

Comment

Definitely the 223. Not only will it provide better accuracy, it will help ensure quicker, cleaner kills.

Comment

Another vote for .223. Get an accurate one... perhaps a used Rem 700, Savage or Howa 1500. If it has a 24 inch or longer barrel it will be moving plenty fast. I shoot the 50g VMax; my brother shoots the 40g. It is deadly out to 300 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad