Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a new scope for a brownning A/bolt 30/06. I was so fond of this gun that I put it away for years saving it so as

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a new scope for a brownning A/bolt 30/06. I was so fond of this gun that I put it away for years saving it so as

I'm looking for a new scope for a brownning A/bolt 30/06. I was so fond of this gun that I put it away for years saving it so as not to beat it up any more than I already had over 12 years or so and many nice whitetail bucks later. Times up I'm bored with the other guns I've been using, so I'm setting the a/bolt up with a new scope and some trigger work.My eyes are not what they were when I last used the gun. What would be a good scope for early and late hunting and oldder eyes. I have a zeiss conquest 2.5x10x44 now good scope but would a trijicon be better.3x9x40 or 2.5x10x56? Thanks for any info.

No sir, I'd stay with the Zeiss you have, at least in my opinion. Put that Zeiss on there, some of the best optics available. Again, IMO.

Comment

Hell no. It's hard to beat a Zeiss. Slap that baby on there. It's perfect.

Comment

I'd agree with the above posts. Its hard to beat a Zeiss for quality and clarity of light. All their products are top of the line. A Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 50mm would be great for that gun IMO.

Comment

great great great answers guys. i'm giving you all pluses. stanley- trijicon does make a great scope. but Zeiss is hard to beat. zeiss is superior to a trijicon in my opinion. you asked about a 2.5-10X56..56 mm objective lens is a bit of overkill. for whitetail deer, you shouldn't be using a 56 mm objective lens, that's just a litte too big. i would recommend the X56 for your varmint rifle.

Comment

I agree with all of the above. 56 mm objective will require high mounts that on many guns will throw the fit out of whack and you really don't need it anyway. Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, and the top of the line Leupold are IMO the best scopes you can get.

Comment

On the other hand you could send that beat up old Zeiss to me for destruction heh,heh. and get yourself a brand new shiney Bushnell Banner. The Banner would be EASY on the pocketbook and you would have the scope that many, many people use.

Comment

The Zeiss is hard to beat unless it is very old. I use a Leupold 2.5-10 VariXIII 50mm. I notice it gives me about 1/2 hour more hunting early morning and late evening because of the light it gathers. I can truly see better through it than I can with my naked old eyes. I doubt that it would be significantly better than your Zeiss though unless it is old... if you can, take a look through one. The 50mm objective definitely gathers more light as do the 30mm tubes. If you are looking for light, these are key factors to consider in any scope because that is how manufacturers are getting more visibility in low light conditions. I have no problem with the height of the 50mm and consider it well worth it for visibility. I also get better low light visibility in my scope that has a 30mm tube. I money is no object, all the scopes Del mentioned will be great.

Comment

Thanks for all the info men, the zeiss is a conquest i bought it to go with a Ruger bolt in 270win. The stainless one with the strange stock. Good gun with the right loads,both are about 12 years old. I think thats about the time zeiss begin making the conquest. I put a Leupold vx3 2x8x32 on the browning abolt its the only scope to ever sit on it but that scope is on another gun now.By bringing her back out to play again I Wanted to doll her up a bit with a new and better scope. Sounds like I might need another 2.5x10 zeiss conq. It is a great scope for the money I just thought trijicon might have something better,by the way conquest is as good or better than a 22/25 year old 3x12x56 swarovski I have on rem700/7mmrem. Got it by trading could not have paid new price. Thanks again,one day I would like to say why I,m really seting the abolt up again but now its still to painful.Still going to be listening for your in put. Stanleyda

Comment

If you really want to buy new scope, get a Trijicon for the Browning if they sound good to you, and put your Zeiss on the .270. The big lens and slightly bigger mag are more of a match to the .270. For the '06's Trijicon, I would go with 3-9x40. The 40mm objective will gather plenty of light, especially with a Trijicon, and the lower you can mount your scope, the better. Low profile rings also just look better on a hunting rifle. It would also be a good call to get another Leupold instead. Your choice. Enjoy.

Comment

There is one called the "Fire-fly" by Bushnell(?) that you "light up" by using a flashlight. Pretty inexpensive to purchase. I've got the Leupold 2.5x10x40mm VX III on my .300 Win Mag. Browning A-Bolt.
                      But incase Del didn't talk you into "destroying" that Zeiss at his place, I've got a Browning(Belgum).308 BAR, that need a "crappy old Zeiss"(LOL) if your just throwing it away.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the Leupold VX Series. Go to your local gun shop and check one out. They are pricey, but as with all things in life, you get what you pay for.

Comment

The Zeiss is what you should put on the A-bolt. Put a decent scope on the gun you're taking the Zeiss from so you have a good back-up gun. I'm a Leupold fan myself, but there are many decent options in that pricerange. Most of all...SHOOT THAT BABY!

Comment

I'll put the conquest back on the Ruger thats the gun I bought it for.If the zeiss conq. is about the best I can do in the 500/700 dollor range I'll buy another 3.5x10x44.The abolt is special to me so I wanted to do the best I could in that price range.Where I hunt we try to shoot 8point or better or 3years or older.I,m in my 50's and wear glasses,I've had trouble seeing the center of the x hairs early and late. Thats why I was looking at the trijicon lighted mil/dot but the glass needs to be as good or better than the ziess in order to judge the deer. Enjoy the exchange keep um coming.I still don't think anyone said they had or has used the trijicon.DEL/in/kS thanks for the offer on the banner but that shining new banner wouldn't look right setting on that old half wore out abolt, ha ha.There was a time when I might have had to think about it, years ago was all I could have bought.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad