Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK-47 vs Mini 14.

AK-47 vs Mini 14.

I love my Mini-14, but [email protected], the AK is sooo reliable, I think it will fire full of mud, upside down and underwater!Seriously I think this is a apples and oranges question, different calipers, and for me, different uses!

Comment

I much prefer the Mini-14. It's a practical rifle to keep in the truck and it handles well in my hands. Keep it clean and it will serve you well.

Comment

Another vote for the Mini-14, based on personal preference. I have never owned an AK-47, but have shot a friends a couple times. I prefer the look and feel of a Mini-14.

Comment

There has not been an AK in history that has not gone bang when you pull the trigger. A monkey can maintain and rebuild it. But it's too pricey in my book for what it is.

Comment

PS I forgot to mention the Road to Perdition AKA the Pistol Grip

Comment

I would also choose the Mini 14. I've had mine for several years, it shoots well, and it always goes bang.

Comment

The mini-14 .223 and mini-30 7.62X39 are excellent rifles. Mine is a Mini-14 .223 stainless ranch rifle with Weaver 1X4.5 scope and it shoots very tight groups(photo on my profile)with my reloads.

Comment

The Ruger Mini-14 was used to kill two FBI agents and wound several others in the famous Miami shootout in 1986. It's a wonder that it wasn't banned on the spot.
                  I don't think it had all the cosmetic features to qualify as an assault rifle.

Comment

I have the Ruger Ranch in 6.8mm. I love it. Like EJP, superb "knock-a-round" gun.
                    So far, mine hasn't let me down and I can keep three rounds in a 9" paper plate with the factory "ghost ring" sights. Not bad for my old tired eyes and shaky hands. Off a bench by the way.

Comment

I had and have both Mini/14 and AK/47,The mini 14/223R was not a shooter at all 4.50" to 6"@ 100Yd...My AK/47 7.62x39R will do 1"@100Yd...So my Vote is the AK-47.

NOTE: the mini-14/223 I had was a 1978 Model.
                      the AK-47 is a 1959 Model,

Comment

99 The instance of which you speak lead to a shift in weapons carried and strategies by the FBI and LEO's in general. America must have had something else to focus on at the time. No wonder politician's think we're "special".

Comment

Carl,
                          If i remember, after the Florida shooting, the FBI went with the 10mm. They soon abandoned the 10mm as the female agents could not handle the size of the gun. So i have been told.

Comment

jhjimbo; They also got away from revolvers.

Comment

In the Miami shootout, the 9mm round that should have stopped the fight went through the perp's forearm and entered his chest, but did not penetrate deeply enough to finish him off. It was a 115-grain bullet.
                              This led the FBI to speculate that a 147-grain bullet would have penetrated more deeply, but then they gave up on the 9mm round completely.
                              They switched to the 10mm, but decided that the recoil was excessive. So they developed the "10mm light," which in turn became the .40 S&W in use today.
                              It was viewed as a compromise between the 9mm and the .45ACP.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad