Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously considering buying a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 30-06 with my tax return money. I was thinking about putting a Nikon Bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously considering buying a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 30-06 with my tax return money. I was thinking about putting a Nikon Bu

Seriously considering buying a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 30-06 with my tax return money. I was thinking about putting a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 scope with BDC reticle. Any opinions?

I had a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and got rid of it because of the caliber. The firearm was a fine firearm. I use Nikon Buckmaster scopes on all of my rifles so I would say yes to your purchase I think you will be pleased.

Comment

Never had a Weatherby, but I'm very happy with my Buckmaster 3x9x50 on my Rem. 700 7mm mag.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Vanguard S2 rifle and think it will serve you well. The 30-06 cartridge and the accuracy of the S2 will allow you to hunt deer out to 400 yards if you practice enough to do your part. If you intend to ever hunt at that range, the accuracy of the scope will be very important for you.

The 3-9x is a good magnification choice for that rifle. There are lots of Buckmasters in the woods and they help hunters bring home deer every year. However I suggest you pick up the Buckmaster and Vortex Diamondback side by side and look through them right along side each other. At a slightly lower price, the Diamondback should show you a brighter and clearer view, a better reticle (the holdover points on the graduated reticle make hitting a pie plate at 400 yards pretty easy), a significantly larger field of view (better in the woods and on running game) and depending on how much you intend to use it, metal rather than plastic. If you intend to shoot at ranges out to 400 yards or so, you will also see improved accuracy in the Diamondback. Its paralax is better. It won't change the point of impact as much as you move your eye around behind the ocular lens.

I'd take the Diamondback every time. If you don't mind spending a little more money, the Nikon Monarch will provide capability similar to the Diamondback with a little more quality. The Vortex scope competing in the Monarch price range is the Viper. Its accuracy, field of vision, clarity, reliability and warranty will be tough to beat with any scope available in the $400 price range.

Enjoy your new rifle, it is a good one!

Comment

I have a S2 in a 223 that shoots an honest to God .75" five shot group every time I shoot it on paper. You cant go wrong with it, and I would highly recommend it with everyone else.
          The Nikon Buckmaster is a good scope too for the money. I had the 4x14 on my 223 for a while until I decided to upgrade. It was a good, reliable scope.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Great choice on rifle and caliber. Scope= what Dakota said!

Comment

You might consider adjusting your witholding rate. What is the point in giving the taxman a free loan with your money?

Comment

I bought a savage axis 308 worst gun I ever bought and have always had savage but for 200 more bought a weatherby s2 25-06 and it is a awesome gun sub moa with hornady sst 117 grain hunted with hornady American whitetail still dead on so I would say you can't go wrong with that purchase

Comment

I bought a savage axis 308 worst gun I ever bought and have always had savage but for 200 more bought a weatherby s2 25-06 and it is a awesome gun sub moa with hornady sst 117 grain hunted with hornady American whitetail still dead on so I would say you can't go wrong with that purchase

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad