Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of Colt AR's? I have been told they are the best bang for your buck. Are their any other brands I shoul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of Colt AR's? I have been told they are the best bang for your buck. Are their any other brands I shoul

What do you guys think of Colt AR's? I have been told they are the best bang for your buck. Are their any other brands I should look into? I am on a budget.

I think they probably are one of the best, but expensive. I think you would do well with a Smith & Wesson, Rock River, or CMMG.

Comment

if I were to go with a pre assembled AR platform I'd go with Rock River best price and I've only heard good things about them. that being said Smith & Wesson are surly fine as well. I've heard bushmaster makes a decent one too, before the craziness they were the cheapest you could pick one up for 799 (before the craziness)

Comment

These are all reliable enough for effective use in most applications. If you want to compete at 600 to 1000 yards you can be a little fussier but for typical use, they all follow exactly the same design standard for the basic receiver and lower unit and parts are interchangeable.

The difference in cost comes with quality of the barrel and bells and whistles which are typically not needed but fun to have. I shoot a Bushmaster Varminter. It is more expensive than your average AR but that is because it has a highly accurate 24 inch heavy fluted barrel and it has a great trigger. Both of these enhance its capability for long range shooting and varmint hunting speed. You won't need these capabilities for home defense or preditor hunting at ranges out to 250 yards.

You typically pay a lot more for a Colts but they aren't necessarily any better than the others. As a matter of fact if you acquire an older Colt you will be lucky to hit a pie plate at 100 yards and you will get very adept at picking jammed cases out of the chamber and using that handly little forward assist plunger (I've never had to do either of these wity my Bushy but don't doubt that it could occur) as in all rifles made to the AR specification.

The DPMS Oracle is a decent starter rifle for a relatively low price. Remember, once you get the basic rifle, you can changer parts for the rest of your life as long as politicians allow. Its easy to add a new barrel, a new trigger, a new forearm or stock, etc. as you desire. If you intend to shoot targets, get one with a good trigger.

Comment

Colt is a good gun but like the others said it is a bit pricey. I owned a Rock River with the heavy barrel and loved it. I haven't heard much good about Bushmaster and what they are putting out right now but that the older ones are good. If you want the quality of the older Bushmasters, look at Windhamweaponry.com They are the original staff of Bushmaster in the original factory using the original machines that made Bushmaster into the big name it is today. They also have an excellent lifetime warranty that is transferable to whomever you sell or pass down to. They will be my next AR I buy.

Comment

i own a smith and wesson M&P, only had time to shoot it once at the range, but i was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards with iron sights. i dont think thats to shabby. have experience with a bushmaster varminter...very accurate prairie dog rifle in the right hands. ive never shot but have handled sig AR's, they have a good feel to them, im sure they shoot well. no experience with rock river arms.

Comment

Nice shooting scratch! That is not shabby! I wonder what it would do with a great high magnification scope and tuned handloads. I tuned a load using a 50g VMAX over Benchrest powder and LIKE what it does. Houseflies don't have a chance at 100 yards and p-dogs are not a challenge at 500 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                by rock rat
                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                Today, 01:18 PM
              • We Don't NEED
                by jhjimbo
                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                Today, 01:08 PM
              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                by Amflyer
                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                Today, 01:04 PM
              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                by jhjimbo
                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X