Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I kill with a Ruger 10/22?

What can I kill with a Ruger 10/22?

birds squirrls and other small varmits like coons fox and a headshot to a yote.

Comment

Anything that breathes.

Comment

I would agree with Hunterkid94

Comment

ishawooa,
          anything that breathes? yea have fun putting a 1400lbs bull moose or a 1200lbs grizzly down with a
          .22 caliber!

Comment

Just about anything under 40lbs. Maybe larger if your shot is good. If you are asking from a legal standpoint, pretty much only small game I think in most states. I know in MI you can't use rifles for turkey, or that small of a caliber for deer.

Comment

hunterkid94: ishawooa is correct. A .22 caliber bullet will kill, and don't think it once. I've seen a .22 mag take down a 600-lb. nilgai cow with a shot to the esophagus. Practically speaking, a Ruger 10/22 is good for small critters like rabbits, of course, but do not be mistaken about the lethality of a .22. Too many people treat it like .22s dismissively, like it's an air soft gun, but it's a killer.

Comment

Practicaly, small game. But ishawooa, and texas are both right. You CAN kill anything with a .22 cal bullet.
                We used to down 2000lb. steer with a ruger 10/22, as for bear, moose a close shot to a soft spot such as an eye/throat will kill just as dead as a .700 nitro.
                The M-16 uses a .223 bullet. Basicly a souped .22 bullet.

Comment

Very small animals... but with a well placed shot, you could kill a lot of things. But small animals allow the greatest margin of error.

Comment

hunterkid94 look up the previous record Alaskan Kodiak which was number one in the book for decades. It was shot by an Alaskan native young girl with one shot from a single shot .22 rifle out of desperation. Some sources indicated that she used a .22 short but I cannot validate that piece.
                    Old timers in the west used to kill cow moose, elk, and deer with .22 LR to preserve money and meat. Even today they still shoot beef cattle and large hogs with .22 LR.
                    I stand by my statement.

Comment

Believe what the guys are telling you. A .22 will kill about anything. I worked in a butcher shop where we used .22s to kill all cattle and hogs. They were killed instantly with head shots. Don't ever take risks with a .22 because they can be leathal. Normally, small game is the best target. Something the size of a coyote on up has to be hit in the brain to kill it instantly although a .22 through a coyote's chest will kill it just as dead. I quit shooting coyotes with them though because they had a tendency to run forever unless hit in the brain.

Comment

Realistically, rabbits,squirrels,small game. Technically, anything.

Comment

WELL SAID JBIRD! realistically, the biggest thing that you're going to want to be shooting is a coyote. Technically, you could go to the north pole and pop polar bears and go home with a white bear hide layin underneath ur kitchen table. you could do that! but the question is, are you going to run the risk of shot misplacement? there's a reason they're called dangerous game. i've seen deer killed in one shot by .22 LR's. i've seen it done with a 17 hmr. think of it like this. a 22 lr projectile zooming at speeds over 1600+ fps..load up on hollow points. and you sir, you have your self a hell of a time.

Comment

A lot of great answers. I have found that the ticket for hunting with a 10/22 has a lot to do with your sights, and your range. If you put a really good scope on it, it will make a huge difference- there are score out there, but the ones with the really fine cross hairs work best because they do not cover small targets- like squirrels and grouse heads. Get a good one- burris, leupold, and weaver are good. A fixed four power is plenty of magnification, but you can go with a variable 2-7X or whatever suits your fancy. The other thing is the range. Read you bullet boxes and get quality high speed ammo- something over 1000fps with a 30+ grain bullet should do the trick on whatever you shoot. Your range will be limited to about 50 yards to be effective- after that your bullet drop and wind will affect your accuracy. And you know what they say, practice, practice, practice!I have my 10/22 set up to hit 16 penny nail heads at 35 yards.

Comment

What's the difference between a 10/22 and a .22?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad