Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good budget AR-15? And when I say budget I mean cheap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good budget AR-15? And when I say budget I mean cheap.

What is a good budget AR-15? And when I say budget I mean cheap.

There's no such thing as a budget AR unless you're buying a Mattie Matel in the toy store. You're out of luck if you're on a budget.

Comment

What world have you been living in?

Comment

No AR is cheap, in general. If you find a good one under $900 in this day and age, you are pretty darn lucky.

Comment

The cheapest one I could find was a Mossberg MMR, has an MSRP of $978.

Comment

My son purchases the parts and builds them for @ $1000 each. Good quality too.

Comment

i cannot freaking stand when people ask for quality items that are CHEAP, its an oxymoron for god sakes!!! you cant find a nice AR for under a grand...really any AR for that matter.

Comment

These are difficult times for buying an AR from any manufacturer. It looks like that may settle down in a few months. When it does, buying parts and assembling your own AR will still be the least expensive way to go. Parts in the AR platform are extremely well specified and they interconnect with one another so you can shop around.

To buy pre-assembled rifles, you can also look at gun shows or sites like gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. Before the current panic, the DPMS Oracle was a good buy for a starter AR. Once you get one, you can always add another receiver, barrel, stock, etc. to make it as high in quality as you desire. For receivers, the DPMS and Bushmaster products are just fine at reasonable prices. If you want accuracy, you can always add a good heavy barrel to whatever you have. The barrel/chamber cut and rigidity account for about 90% of an AR's accuracy. An Accuwedge adds about another 5%, then the trigger. I always recommend getting a good trigger while you are at it because sloppy triggers are a pain and must be replaced if you want accuracy. Good luck!

Comment

there are Core 15's out there for $700...best bet is gunbroker.com

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad