Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Guys. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 win mag and I have owned it for years and have not shot anything with it. I have had troubl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 win mag and I have owned it for years and have not shot anything with it. I have had troubl

Hey Guys. I have a Tikka T3 in .300 win mag and I have owned it for years and have not shot anything with it. I have had trouble getting it to group and finding which load works best. What luck have you guys had with your Tikka? I have shot 180 grain fusions and they are all over the place. My next load I am thinking of going with is Hornady 165 grain sst. I have a leaupold 3X9-50 rifleman on it. Any suggestions?

Getting accuracy, i.e. tight groups, from a rifle could take volumes of suggestions. If you are the original owner and have worked the new bore in and kept the bore clean i would start with the scope mount and then the stock fit and bedding/ screw tightening. If the condition of the bore is questionable you could fire some lapping bullets to smooth out the bore. Checking the groups could be done after firing two or three rounds, a lot of times that is the best performance from a particular barrel.
    Do you have other rifles that shoot tight groups? If so then your rest should be o.k..
    How is the trigger set on the T3?
    And, the last and least probable is something in the scope. you can always swap out the scope to rule it out.
    As far as 'loads'. are you re loading? If so, try some factory from Remnington or Winchester or Hornady, just to rule out the reloads.
    Good luck, you have your work cut out for you. Let us know what you find improved the groups - post a picture of the target...

Comment

If I had a Tikka T3 that grouped poorly, I would take those flimsy factory rings off and buy some Burris, Leupold, or Tally rings & bases. The Rifleman is not exactly a top of the line scope, so that could be your problem. Tikka's are known to be accurate and I would try changing the mounts and a good bore cleaning with Bore-Tech Eliminator before I did anything further. Federal Fusions should shoot ok, but my .30-06 did not shoot them well either. I would not use Hornady factory ammo as an accuracy baseline as I have had poor luck with them in several calibers.

Comment

WAM got good ideas

I own a .300 Tikka too (though I'm guessing you have the hunter contour? Or maybe the varmint?) I have a Tac, and for a while it shot really garbage groups.

What I've noticed in mine is a lack of consistency. Normally I would say this was me, but on those days, my near identical 6.5x55 tikka would shoot as sweet as she always does. I got to thinking, its probably a lack of bedding, and of stiffness in the stock. My solution is going to be ordered soon; a Manners composite tactical, that'll be bedded by the gentlemen at ATRS, and possibly a JARD trigger, metal bolt shroud, and a whole host of goodies.

Two things that I would look at, either check your rings and invest in a better scope, have a gunsmith look to see if you got a lemon barrel (they happen, and you just have to screw a new tube in and it IS worth the money to make it shoot teeney groups), and also see if the stock is flexing to contact the barrel.

If none of these are the problem, then you might want to look at a bedding job, and a better recoil lug such as those produced by KRG that are thicker, and made of stainless as apposed to aluminum. If you really want to get technical you might order a stock and ask a gunsmith to inlet it for your rifle.

Hope it helps

Comment

WAM got good ideas

I own a .300 Tikka too (though I'm guessing you have the hunter contour? Or maybe the varmint?) I have a Tac, and for a while it shot really garbage groups.

What I've noticed in mine is a lack of consistency. Normally I would say this was me, but on those days, my near identical 6.5x55 tikka would shoot as sweet as she always does. I got to thinking, its probably a lack of bedding, and of stiffness in the stock. My solution is going to be ordered soon; a Manners composite tactical, that'll be bedded by the gentlemen at ATRS, and possibly a JARD trigger, metal bolt shroud, and a whole host of goodies.

Two things that I would look at, either check your rings and invest in a better scope, have a gunsmith look to see if you got a lemon barrel (they happen, and you just have to screw a new tube in and it IS worth the money to make it shoot teeney groups), and also see if the stock is flexing to contact the barrel.

If none of these are the problem, then you might want to look at a bedding job, and a better recoil lug such as those produced by KRG that are thicker, and made of stainless as apposed to aluminum. If you really want to get technical you might order a stock and ask a gunsmith to inlet it for your rifle.

Hope it helps

Comment

JMO~ Go to your local Gun Shop or Gunsmith and have them or Him go over it. A good Shop will use Factory Caliber Brand Ammo(Winchester)To sight in your Rifle.Its cheaper in the long run....just saying.

Comment

Great advice from WAM... I'd follow that first. There are many variables in accuracy so it is a process of elimination. Tikkas usually shoot very well so I would try to eliminate everything but the rifle itself first. Each rifle is unique and the torqueing and snapping of the barrel must be accounted for by getting a load that is harmonious. You will have to try different brands of bullets in different sizes to find that match for your rifle. Reloaders have it easier because they can just tune a load by adjusting velocity and over all length of the cartridge until they find harmony. I suspect the scope. Although a Leupold, the Rifleman will change the point of aim as you move your eye around behind the ocular lens. I'd suggest putting solid rings and mounts on first; then trying a better scope if that doesn't do it. The .300 Win Mag has so much recoil that it will wreak havoc on poor rings and mounts. After that, I'd attack the bedding of the stock... you don't need a new stock for accuracy... you need a good bedding job. Most T3s are OK but you can do a great job of this yourself for under $35 by buying a bedding kit and following the instructions. You need 3 things for accuracy:
              1. Harmonic and accurate bullets, (trial and error)
              2. Good bedding (you can bed) and
              3. A good barrel (probably OK after cleaning - use CR-10 to get the copper fouling out).

Please note that .300 Winnys with factory hunting ammo cause FLINCHes in most shooters. Make sure you are using a SOLID rest and that you are NOT flinching. A little flinch or trigger jerk causes a BIG group every time.

Comment

buy yourself a lead sled and see if your groups get better.

Comment

I have a .300 WSM in a T3 Lite. As WAM said the factory rings are junk, especially if you have one in a magnum chambering. The TIKA comes with the standard Sako adjustable trigger which is a good one. IMHO buying new trigger is not a productive outlay of cash. Your scope is basically the old Leupold VX-1 not a bad scope but it would be a point of interest in your group size. As for "bedding" Tikas come set up with good action bedding and a floating barrel. They do have a peculiar recoil lug that actually is separate from the barreled action. This "lug" fits very tightly into a recess in the stock and the underside of the receiver. If this installation is pinched or the action screws are over tightened excessive torque is placed on the receiver and this can result in poor accuracy. Tikas are very light rifles in their synthetic format and recoil in a magnum chambering is on the stiff side. I replaced the hard factory recoil pad with a Limb Saver and that made a great deal of difference. As for loads I have found very good accuracy from 3 bullets, 180 grain Nosler Accubond, 168 grain Barnes TTSX and the 168 grain Barnes TSX. Book loads for all were 1-2 grains under max. My rifle has never digested a factory round. I agree with trying a basic factory loading from Winchester or Remington for sighting in. I share WAM's opinion and experience with Hornady factory ammo.

Comment

it seems that you have only fired one type of load through your rifle. certainly that is not enough to justify going through all of the above steps yet, as good of advice as they may be. try shooting a few different brands and loads. if problems continue to occur, then you should go ahead and start trying the advice given above.

Comment

Thanks guys appreciate the help. I am thinking of sending the scope back to Leaupold to see if theirs a problem. My problem is I have had a lot of ammo given to me but they are all heavy 180 grainers. I have Federal Bear claws & Federal Fusions. I have also tried 150 grain cor-lokts. I'm not the greatest shot but I am not terrible either.

Comment

No Tikka but my Ruger .300 likes 180 gr. Hornady Interlocks and IMR4831.

Comment

maybe try switching to a lower grain cartridge

Comment

I shoot 165 Nosler Accubonds with RL 19 and they will shoot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. The load worked in my Tikka T3 Lite and it works in my Sako A7. I also shoot 165 grain Hornady Interlocks and SST's. I have a good load for Hornady 180 grain Interbonds. I have never shot factory loads.

Comment

Rex99,
                              WAM and especially Beekeeper have touched on everything there isn't much I can add. I have a Tika T3 Lite Hunter in 270 Win that is very accurate out of the box. I have used the factory rings and haven't had a problem but I am also not shooting a Magnum. Before I changed anything though I would try different ammo because it seems like you have only shot one type of ammo and make sure that I had a good rest. If that doesn't work then I would follow WAM and Beekeeper's advice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad