Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My next purchase is going to be a Marlin 30-30. I have heard some negative reviews of the new models. I'm not opposed to buyin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next purchase is going to be a Marlin 30-30. I have heard some negative reviews of the new models. I'm not opposed to buyin

My next purchase is going to be a Marlin 30-30. I have heard some negative reviews of the new models. I'm not opposed to buying a used rifle. Are the older Marlin's signifcantly better?

yes definitely pre-safety for sure but the older (in good condition) the better.

Comment

The old ones are good. I have had several over the years. Last year i bought a new one - came with a scope, bore sighted in and a sling. With Hornady Leverevolution ammo it shoots 1 1/4" groups. Good fit and finish and no complaints. The scope has Marlin name on it and i am satisfied with it. I do not mind the cross bolt safety. Either way you will be buying a legend and you should enjoy it for a lifetime.

Comment

Fit and finish in the past couple years is not as good as previous years. Functionality is fine.

Comment

The older Used Marlins or New Marlins with the cross bolt safety are the most Dependable and Scope friendly
          Lever Guns. BEWARE some older(1948-1955)Marlins had a "Firing Pin Problem" back in the Day..New or Used its Money well spent. Good Luck.

Comment

i have a older marlin 336 30-30 the fireing pin broke once but that was cause i was dry firing it to much. but sense then i havent had any problems with it and i have scope on it and can get good groups with it

Comment

I have a Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum and I'm very pleased with it. The .30-30 is a proven model that permits low and secure scope mounting, which makes perfect sense, and they're already drilled and tapped for receiver sights or scope mounts, as you prefer. Marlin has a good reputation in my peer group.

Comment

I have a marlin 30-30 that is about 10 years old and I have not had any issues with it.

Comment

my marlin 30-30 was given to me as a gift in 1994. It has been a great rifle with no complaints.

My father still shoots his that he bought in the late 60's with iron sights and can keep it inside a quarter at 100 yards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad