Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I picked up my Sako A7 yesterday from the FFL dealer, and I of course immediately unboxed it upon my arrival home. I had no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I picked up my Sako A7 yesterday from the FFL dealer, and I of course immediately unboxed it upon my arrival home. I had no

Well I picked up my Sako A7 yesterday from the FFL dealer, and I of course immediately unboxed it upon my arrival home. I had no problems with it yesterday,- the action was smooth like glass, the trigger pull was crisp, everything was perfect. Today when I was examining it again however, I noticed after working the action for some time, that the last portion of running the length of the bolt in and out was very rough and required effort. After taking out and placing the bolt back in multiple times, I was still having the problem. I noticed metal dust/flakes accumulating in the bottom portion of the action where you first slide the bolt into, and where the cocking indicator slides out. The action is still rough, very unlike how it was before. Is this a common problem? Does it just need to be broke in? I rubbed some light oil on the bolt and all inside the action to no avail. The rifle has never been fired and was new in box. Any help will be appreciated! I just need to know if it's something that can be fixed with elbow grease or something, or if it needs to go back to the manufacturer. Thanks!

I have had mine for 3 years and fired probably 300 rounds through it and never encountered any problems. I think maybe I would contact the manufacture.

Comment

Take it back and/or call the manufacturer customer service. That bolt should be smooth as silk.

Comment

Take it back and get a Weatherby Mark V.

Comment

I'd suggest cleaning it and then oiling the daylights out of the slide/bolt area with light gun oil. Then cycle the action about 300 times. If necessary, clean it again half way through. Clean when done; then lubricate lightly. It should be a very smooth action once you get it broken in a little. I do this with all new rifles and it really helps. The only new rifle I ever had further problems with was a Weatherby Mark V where both the trigger group and firing pin depth had problems; so don't feel bad about having to use a crumby old Sako. If it still has issues after that, call the Sako support. Good luck with your new toy.

Comment

IIRC OI offered to take that crummy ol' Weatherby off your hands.....

Comment

Sorry about your rifle. Are you sure it got rougher, or maybe did you examine it a bit closer the next day?

If you are really seeing metal shavings and it went from good to bad overnight, you probably have a bur somewhere in the bolt channel. you may or may not feel comfortable sleuthing it out and smoothing. Keep in mind it's not hard to screw things up if you know just enough to get in over your head...don;t ask how I learned that rule.

Do you see any scratches or otherwise on the bolt body? It is rough in the rotation part of the stroke or the bolt travel fore and aft? Does it change when you remove the magazine?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I will be taking it to a local gunsmith for further inspection. I think it is something that will just work it's way out, and if not it can be adjusted. And in regards to Amyflyer, it is still rough but not as much so after I cycled it a bit. And yes there are thin metal flakes/dust prevalent. There are no lines on the bolt channel, but the roughness begins as soon as the bolt shroud begins touching the action of the gun. How did you learn that rule? It is not rough on the rotation part of the stroke. It does not change when I remove the magazine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad