Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know anything about the .303 enfield No.5Mk1 jungle carbine? Mfg. 2/45. Bought one that seems in good condition - h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know anything about the .303 enfield No.5Mk1 jungle carbine? Mfg. 2/45. Bought one that seems in good condition - h

Does anybody know anything about the .303 enfield No.5Mk1 jungle carbine? Mfg. 2/45. Bought one that seems in good condition - has had the flash hider cut off but otherwise original.

The Original Rear sight moves every time The Rifle was Fired. Any time the Japs would find a cash of Enfield Jungle Carbines they sent them back to Japan for scrap, but kept the Mk1,3,4 for their Accuracy.

Comment

If the flash hider, which serves no practical purpose for you as a shooter/hunter, was properly removed and the barrel was crowned, there should be no detriment to accuracy. The .303 British is a popular cartridge wherever the British Empire flies its flag and, if you're a reloader, it uses the same diameter bullets as the 7.7 Japanese and the 7.76x53mm Belgian Mauser. It's a good deer cartridge and it should serve you well. You won't have the same spectrum of bullet weights and shapes as a thirty caliber, but you may be able to obtain surplus military ammunition for less expensive practice. The original magazines for the rifle contained ten rounds, which may be an issue in some areas these days. As you can see, the bolt cocks on closing and it's easily disassembled. Enjoy your .303!

Comment

As soon as i get some ammo i am going to see what it can do. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Correction: Same bullet diameter as the 7.65x53mm Belgian Mauser and the 7.7 Japanese, which id 0.312". I should know better than to take my eyes off the keyboard when I type!

Comment

EJP,
            I probably will not reload for this.

Ed, BTW if you see this, there is a guy on the Fishing Message Board that is stationed in Saratoga Springs and needs some help on trout fishing. I think that is more toward the area you are familiar with.

Comment

jhjimbo,
              I was born in the Northeast, and have since relocated (repeatedly)...a little while in southwestern Colorado, 25 years in southern California, and for the last 16 years or more in the Pacific Northwest. I've tried to familiarize myself with the environment wherever I remained for any period of time. In a few instances, I've been able to revisit the friends and the areas I've enjoyed along the way...not often enough. It has been a great while since Upstate NY, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey, so my memories of those areas are not current. Some things don't change, but suburban development and habitat encroachment have made some areas unrecognizable over time. I will look for the question of the Fishing Message Board.
              Ed

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                by jhjimbo
                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                Today, 01:16 PM
              • Another New Upper
                by DakotaMan
                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                Today, 12:54 PM
              • Reply to Another New Upper
                by FirstBubba
                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                Today, 01:12 PM
              • Reply to 16 Years
                by jhjimbo
                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                Today, 01:11 PM
              • 16 Years
                by jhjimbo
                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X