Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of .22 pistol should I buy?

What kind of .22 pistol should I buy?

Rugers always Rugers. Ask for a Ruger .22 pistol and they will give you all sorts of arrangements.

Comment

The Ruger MarkII is an excellent .22 pistol. Very accurate, reliable and affordable.

Comment

Rugers are reliable and not expensive either. I recommend them, just like Squizzy and rabbitpolic did.

Comment

i'd go with rabbitcop and buy a Ruger Mark III or a ruger charger they're pretty cool.

Comment

I would go with a Walther p22 about $300 or a Sig 22 about $300-350.

Comment

I will break away from previous commenters and say the Browning Buckmark. I like the look of the new URX. In my opinion they are better finished and have better ergonomics than the Rugers. There are a heck of alot more aftermarket things for Rugers so if you want to trick it out they are the better choice. But for out of the box performance Brownings look better, have a better trigger, and in my experience are more accurate. Not much more expensive either.

Comment

Forgot to add that if you have a 1911 that you like already get the Kimber conversion. I love mine.

Comment

I have a stainless Ruger Mark II Government Target .22 autoloader topped with a Burris 2X EER scope. It shoots as accurately from rest at 25 and 50 yards as my Rem 580 .22LR single-shot bolt action rifle. I'm very pleased with it, of course, but I cannot overlook the fact that there are other .22 rimfire revolvers and autoloaders that merit praise.
                  I've been very pleased with the S&W Model 17 .22LR and Model 48 .22 Mag revolvers, as well as the Ruger Single-Six revolver also, but these handguns were not scope-mounted.
                  Be patient in your quest, handle as many handguns that look interesting and promising to you. Develop a concept of how you'd like to accessorize it (e.g., do you intend to scope it?) and make choices compatible with your concept. While visiting the range, I have rarely refused another shooter's request to try my rimfire handguns on the firing line. If you see a sidearm in a gunshop that bears closer examination, take a look at it, ask for objective shooter feedback, and do some homework on it so you can purchase with confidence. Then practice frequently and enjoy every moment with your decision. Understand that you have a number of choices, all of which are excellent, so it's a win-win situation. You simply have to find the model you particularly appreciate, and I wish you a great experience in your purchase, on the range and in the field.

Comment

A good Ruger standard 6 inch barrel Mark II will do you just fine and the extra whatever would be extra weight.

In Alaska I used a 22 6 inch barrel Ruger Mark II for Grouse and rabbits. Here in Arkansas I use it for squirrel hunting.

Comment

Ruger Single Six. I love it because it can shoot .22 mags as well.

Comment

Ruger MarkIII, I JUST BOUGHT ONE AND ITS GREAT!

Comment

For revolvers go with a Smith 17 or maybe a 34 if you can handle the little J frame. Of course the Ruger Single Sixes of various styles will provide reliable fun and last forever. They are simply slower to reload. Ruger semi-autos, on the other hand, are great shooters for the money. For more bucks you will never go wrong with a Smith M-41 in either barrel length. If you can locate an old Colt Woodsman or Browning Medalist they are fantastic shooters but are beginning to get a little pricy for used pistols.

Comment

ruger mark II, browning buckmark, or a ruger charger.

Comment

anything Ruger if it fits your hand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                                by jhjimbo
                                So sorry for your loss....
                                Today, 10:40 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by Amflyer
                                Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                                Today, 10:26 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                                Today, 09:38 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X