Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I plan on buying a beginners shotgun and have been looking at the 12g 870 express. I've heard mixed reviews. What are your opi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I plan on buying a beginners shotgun and have been looking at the 12g 870 express. I've heard mixed reviews. What are your opi

I plan on buying a beginners shotgun and have been looking at the 12g 870 express. I've heard mixed reviews. What are your opinions? Thanks

They are a time-tested arm that has been used to shoot many, many birds and other fauna. The express version is of course a bit rougher than the nicer grades.

My gun shop up the road has a beautiful used specimen selling for about $350. Walnut, glossy blue...if that's your cup of tea over composite and matte finish, you may consider a used gun.

Comment

I like the looks ofa wood stock over composite. I have been looking at used guns but the only used ones I can find in my area are poorly maintained weapons. Thanks for the answer

Comment

We've purchased two 870s, a 12 and a 20 gauge, and they've served us reliably for years. The Model 870 is time-tested, having been in production since the '50s, and deservedly popular. There are many aftermarket options and accessory barrels for this model. I doubt you'll ever be bored with it.

Comment

What EJP sed! Since Winchester no longer markets it's M12, a Rem 870 is the "cat's meow"! I've been shooting an 870 Express I bought at a big box on sale for $189.95 over 20 years ago. Still looks and works very good.

Comment

If it is a new model "RUN FOR THE HILLS"! They are nothing short of junk! I finally traded mine for a Ruger SR40 a heck of an upgrade for a paper weight. If you care to hear the truth about the new ones go through the answers section on this website. Almost every month someone complains about the gun either jambing, not ejecting, or both. If you decide to get one and when it jambs hold onto the forearm and hit the buttstock on the ground hard. Then after a few times you'll come on here and ask the question how to fix this. All the homework has been done for you already look in my profile pics showing the diagram showing where to polish the barrel with steel wool and where and how to bend the ejector spring to make it eject shells properly then you'll have a functional gun. All I can tell you is BUYER BEWARE!

Comment

Between my dad and I we have 4 870 express' and they have all been great. One is a magnum that i use for deer in wisconsin and I love it. It is a tack driver and it works great for ducks and turkeys as well. Great gun for a great price, especially when you pick them up from people badly in need of money. Dont worry about them used either. They are solid and IF you do need parts they are pretty easily available.

Comment

The 870 is a good gun. You also can't go wrong with a Mossberg pump -- I have the 835 which can handle 3 1/2 shells if you need it.

Comment

I've had an 870 Wingmaster since the late 80's as my go to 12 gague. It's been 100% reliable and shoots great patterns with all 3 chokes with everything from turkey to dove loads. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds out of it and carried it in the field at least a couple hundred days. The stock is a little beat up and the bluing is wearing away in a few spots but mechanically it's as tight and smooth as the day it came out of the box.

I also have an 870 Express Tactical. Again, a 100% reliable gun for the last 5 years. (Not shot much though).

To compare the two, the Wingmaster has a smoother action and a more solid feel overall. I'd say that if you can find a well maintained Wingmaster used, you can't go wrong.

Comment

If you want an 870 find a used Wingmaster. They are worlds away better than new express models and mossturds.

Comment

I have an 870 super mag and love it almost no problems with it

Comment

If limited to only one firearm, I would choose my 870 Express. I've killed both small and large game with mine, including feral pigs. In the off season it serves as my first choice in home defense.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

I try not to sway off topic in any of my replies (ha) but have you considered the Browning BPS? Blued steel and walnut, solid, ambidextrous. These are bottom eject, and are a bit more tricky to "check empty" but they are very nice. Real world price in my parts is 400-450 new.

I have a appropriately scaled 16 gauge that was theoretically purchased for my oldest son (left-hander) when he is old enough to use it, but until then I get to hunt with it. Sweet little gun.

Comment

This is a picture from the photos section of my BPS. Not the best of the shotgun, but a nice picture anyway.

www.fieldandstream.com/photos/trophyroom/recent/single?pnid=1001383514#1001383514

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad