Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Improved Cylinder on a smoothbore shotgun shooting slugs just as accurate as a Rifle barrel or Slug Gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Improved Cylinder on a smoothbore shotgun shooting slugs just as accurate as a Rifle barrel or Slug Gun?

Is a Improved Cylinder on a smoothbore shotgun shooting slugs just as accurate as a Rifle barrel or Slug Gun?

Not in my experience.
    While a smooth bore with an IC constriction is fine for riffled slugs a rifled barrel shooting sabots is much more accurate and extends your effective range.

Comment

Improved cylinder is a good choice for rifled slugs and it may be more accurate than SOME rifles and slug guns, depending on the individual guns being compared.
      For best accuracy, I would take a rifle every time.

Comment

Shotguns with a smooth IC/Slug Bbl works well with all Foster Type Slugs.Brenneke"KO"..... Riffled Slug Bbl work with Sabot type Ammo.Hornady Sabot.

Comment

Shotguns and slugs are persnickety!
          Personally? I would prefer the rifled slug barrel.
          Sitting down at a shooting bench with a variety of slugs is about the only method of absolutely determining a shotgun's "slug" accuracy.

Comment

Improved Cylinder and fullbore slugs can be very accurate out to 75 yards. Somewhere between 75 and 100 the slugs slow enough to hit the sound barrier and often tumble as they go subsonic.
            Brenneke KOs and Federal Truball are the best slugs I have tried for smoothbores.

A rifled barrel and a good sabot slug will extend your range to at 125 or maybe more.
            Sabots do not shoot well through smoothbores and fullbore slugs don't show much better accuracy through rifled barrels.

Comment

I would suggest a rifled barrel with sabot slugs. I've killed deer out to 130 yards with mine.

Comment

My first deer was taken with an improved cylinder smooth bore in 1977, and it was accurate enough to shoot deer at 50 to 75 yards (still is). Now I use a rifled barrel, and Sabots. The area I hunt is pretty thick, so i don't get a lot of shots past 100 yards.

Comment

To add to what I posted above -- with good ammunition a smoothbore can shoot groups of an inch and a half or less to 75 yards. That is a huge improvement over the state of smoothbore slug shooting when I started deer hunting back in the 80s.

Comment

I dont think its possible for them to be more accurate than a rifled barrel and sabbots. The new technology with the sabot slugs is getting insane results. The new hornady ssts are like shooting them with a rifle. But, if all you have is an improved cylinder or smooth bore you have more than the nessacary equipment to bag a deer. I have taken a deer at 130 yards with a smooth bore barrel. Its not so much the tech and the gear as it is the person pulling the trigger....and a little luck never hurts when it comes to white tails!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by 99explorer
                      CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                      Anybody
                      Today, 01:09 AM
                    • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                      by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                      Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by 99explorer
                      Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                      Today, 12:57 AM
                    • The George Floyd case.
                      by FirstBubba
                      Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                      Minnesota...
                      Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                    • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by crm3006
                      My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                      Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X