Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The venerable 3-06 won the "Best Long Range Deer Cartridge". Given it's title, what factory ammo would you use, or if you relo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The venerable 3-06 won the "Best Long Range Deer Cartridge". Given it's title, what factory ammo would you use, or if you relo

The venerable 3-06 won the "Best Long Range Deer Cartridge". Given it's title, what factory ammo would you use, or if you reload, what bullet, powder, etc. would you use to achieve the "Long Range Performance" from this cartridge?

I load a .30-06 federal case with 51.5 grains of IMR 4895 to push a 150 grain Nosler Accubond out at 2950 FPS. I zero at 200 yards and that velocity keeps me right on using my Redfield Balistaplex reticle to hit at 300, 400, and 500 yards.

Comment

IMR4895 and 168gr bullet is the favorite of club members that shoot at the Camp Perry 1000yd match with 30-06 M-1 garand. I looked around on the web and the target is 6'x6' with a 8" bulls eye. Of all the things they have to figure into their calculations, they have a factor for the amount of rotation of the earth. One guy on the web site was an army sniper using Hornady Superformance Ammo and shot a 3" group.
      I personally don't even shoot ground hogs over about 400yds and most all my deer and bear were under 150 so i will leave the long range stuff to the experts.

Comment

My sporterweight seemed to favor the Sierra 168 gr HPBT Match for targets and the Hornady 165 gr. for game.
        My heavy-barreled target rifle seemed to digest the Sierra 180 gr. HPBT Match bullets fueled by IMR-4350.
        I apologize for being so vague on details. My notes are home, and I am not.
        By the way, there are new(er) bullets I haven't tried, and these suggestions are dated. Contiunue to experiment and enjoy the process. Just because these worked well in my rifles (both of which had a 1:10 twist) is no guarantee they work as well in yours.

Comment

In my Lightweight Sporter. I shoot a 165 grain Barnes TSX in a Federal Premium [email protected] 2,800+ fps. Cuts cloverleafs if I have not had too much coffee or there is no crosswind. No trouble hitting center of the gongs at 300 and 400 yards either. It shoots 180 gr Remington Core Lokts just about as well at 100 and 200 yards. Never shot them on a range any farther. than that.

Comment

My rifle likes a 165 gr. Nosler BT or Accubond at about 2900 fps. I don't publish loading data for obvious reasons, but this load has served well for deer and elk, at ranges exceeding 200 yds. That is long range where I hunt.

Comment

I have an 06 but my long range gun is a 300 Wby. Much more power and flatter shooting. Also have a 25-06 I would use over the 30-06. If it had to be my 30-06 my loads would be hot simply because factory ammo is loaded down. No I can't share any of my loads. To heck with that poll.

Comment

Exactly! My .300 Roy propels a 168 TTSX @ 3,348 fps MV.

Comment

CRM3006, I can see why the 30-06 won. It doesn't surprise me that many good deer hunters view 200 yards as a long range deer shot; especially in eastern states where the view is often limited to that.

I hunt a lot west of the Mississippi and I still consider long range to be somewhere between 500 and 1000 yards. I prefer a flatter shooting rifle than the 30-06 for anything over 100 yards. I use a 25-06 out to 600 yards and far prefer that over the 30-06. I use a .300 Dakota for the very long shots with a 210g Berger for accuracy at long range. It shoots a 168g bullet up to 3600 fps but the 210s are just amazingly accurate as well as making the most sense for very long range energy.

hjimbo, if you need long range for deer in a 30-06, I'd strongly suggest you try the 130g Nosler. You will get enough speed to reach out there and it should be quite accurate at long range. If not, try the Barnes or Sierra Game King bullets in 125-130g. These boat tail designs will have lower drag. Many don't think these light bullets will kill deer but they are just WRONG. At 3200 fps, they reach out to 500 yards very well and will penetrate any deer with no problem from any angle. I do shoot running deer too and the added speed makes it much more predictable. If you are shooting at longer ranges, you will quickly learn to appreciate SPEED for minimum holdover, windage and lead. A 30-06 can do much better than most people believe; you just have to use the right bullet.

Comment

Dakota
                    I hunt the eastern states now so not much over 200yds. I did set up in Michigan in a spot with 300yds one way and 400yds the other(gas line clear cut i think). Anyway, on opening day a 10 pt stepped right out in front of me and my .300WbyMag at 50yds. I aimed at the bottom of the chest and got a heart shot.
                    BTW, did you ever try one of the Berger VLD in the '06. I was talking to a guy with a .308 who used them and he said they were amazing - coyotes at 500 and 600yds.

Comment

DakotaMan-
                      I primarily hunt West Texas, Southern Oklahoma and New Mexico. 200 yds. is a long shot in TX and OK due to brush, hills and ridges. I did kill one deer in West Texas at a lasered 250 yds, but that was a unique circumstance.
                      Ranges in New Mexico tend to be a smidgen longer, again due to terrain, but still the shots seem to be mostly in the 200 yd range, sometimes just a tad more.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad