Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking to add a bolt action 30-06 to my '06 semi auto. I've been living 3 months a year in Colorado for the past few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking to add a bolt action 30-06 to my '06 semi auto. I've been living 3 months a year in Colorado for the past few years

I'm looking to add a bolt action 30-06 to my '06 semi auto. I've been living 3 months a year in Colorado for the past few years and would like a long range rifle. I want to take the longer shots with precision. I have seen the big magnums shoot those 400,500 and 700 shots and it looks unpleasant to practice. The '06 has comparable ballistics and is less likely to dislocate my shoulder. Does anyone have recommendations for a 30-06 rifle for accurate longer range shooting. Not interested in any other calibers. Thanks !

JMO~ The New Winchester Super Grade/70-W/24" Bbl,Wby Mk5~W/24" Bbl,Sako~85 Hunter W/24" Bbl, or A Custom Rifles With a 24" or 26"Bbl. To reach that Zip-code.

Comment

Optics optics optics. Some of the best advice I got from a well known guide(I wont name names but he is known for big elk and sheep here in az) was buy a 50 dollar part of boots, a 300 dollar rifle and a thousand dollar scope and binos. Good optics make a world of difference. Not just in clarity but they gather more light. 5 years ago on a deer hunt i had a 100in coues deer just 250 yards away last 10 min of light and could see him with my eyes, through my binos but not through my scope. A new barrel, free floating the barrel, and glass/pillar bedding will all improve the accuracy of a rifle. It all depends on what you have to spend on a gun.

P.S. If you are just getting a 30-06 because of the sweet 16 thing you might want to do some more research. I have grown up around long range hunting and would love to talk more on the subject of caliber. Another guy on here is dakota man is a long range expert and im sure he has his own ideas.

But if you are sure about the 30-06 then run with it. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Pair of boots*

Comment

I know you aren't interested in any other calibers, but for what you want I wouldn't trade my Sako A7 300WSM for 2 30-06's of any make.

Comment

Remington 700 or Weatherby Vanguard II.
            Put a good quality scope on it and you have a great rifle.

Comment

Sarge your caliber choice appears to be making significant inroads in the long range shooting world both paper and hunting.
              mike714 While I agree with most of the advice you acquired I must say that being midway through my sixth decade I understand the value of high quality boots and the folly of cheap ones. Almost to a man all the sheep outfitters and guides I know wear Kenetreks. After I broke down and purchased a pair a couple years ago I understood why on my first high country hunt. They are worth every dollar they cost.

Comment

Ishawooa I still have a high quality pair of boots but if you are just starting out and have to pick where to spend money optics and the gun are where you do it. I would agree great boots are amazing but if i had to choose i would still have scars from rubbing my feet raw in borrowed boots and bought good optics.

Comment

Mike,

Not to be offensive, but you have spoken like a man who has never been on a real backcountry hunt or spent more than a day in the infantry. If your leather personnel carriers can't get you there, no rifle or glass will make the shot.

Comment

Not a suggestion for a specific rifle but more a story about the caliber:

When I was a kid too young to hunt, I hung out with a very elderly relative who hunted at our camp and had served in France in WW I. He never talked specifics but told me that the 30-06 Springfield would keep the Germans down in the trenches at a thousand yards. (I remember him showing me just how far a thousand yards was from hill to next hill) According to him, the Germans thought they could get out and walk around until the Americans moved in. Maybe true, maybe not, but the man could lean against a post on the camp porch and hit a bullseye at 80 yards with an open sighted 35 Remington pump. I have a feeling he could have done pretty well at longer distances.

Comment

I have been looking at the new Remington 783. It sounds like a helluva rifle, and Im thinking of buying one myself.

Comment

You've chosen a good cartridge and a great many rifle models are chambered for .30-'06. Other than custom or semi-custom bolt action rifles that address aesthetic issues, I would recommend the Winchester Model 70 or the Sako. Others will serve you well. I had a Rem Model 700 for 18 years that was an accurate and versatile rifle, but the results and subsequent pride of ownership that came with the Model 70 and the Sako L61 made those rifles rise above the "utilitarian" role.
                        The Weatherby Vanguard and the Howa Model 1500 will give you great value and service, commendable accuracy if you do your part, and the Ruger Model 77 is a good choice, so I am confident in recommending them, but the Winchester M70 and Sako rifles are my idea of what a bolt action ought to be.

Comment

WAM I'm not saying boots aren't important I currently have 2 pairs of Danner's a pair for day and bow hunting and a pair for packing in and riding. But when I was younger and more willing to take a punishment I had a 50 dollar pair of redheads that I got off the clearance rack and before that borrowed boots from a friend. I in my mid to late teens I did not care if I got back to camp and had bloody socks or blisters. In big country you find game by glassing then walking most often. I only hike to get to new glassing points, walk bottom I can't glass into, or to go after game. I found this is the best way to see game. I can cover around 15 square miles in a day this way. With good glass I see more and can cover more ground then I ever could by hiking all over.

Comment

Never hear an argument from me about the merits of good glass. I think it is foolish to punish your feet and knees with poor boots. I can speak from experience with foot and knee problems from long periods afoot with poor footgear. You will pay for it when you hit about 55 or so. Trust me on that one.

Comment

I'm a big fan of a simple tool that does it's job i like the savage 110 lines and have even a few stevens 200. buy a good rifle and buy amazing glass!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad