Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Ruger Mini 14 a "reliable" semi auto? If so, I think it has some advantages over ARs (price, and the fact that "legally"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like mine at all. That being said it is very reliable, I just couldn't get it near the accuracy of an AR. It is an older model Ranch Rifle.

Comment

Edward J.P.- That is the thing I hate about buying guns online! It bugs the stew out of me! That being said, I might not be able to get what I want if I don't buy it straight from the Ruger website. I like it because it is, for one cheaper than an ar, two, the thirty is a bigger caliber (that is what my other question was about).
      And for those who say it would not be the right kind of deer rifle, I have never killed a deer over 60 or so yards. I literally live in a yo-pon thicket! (if you're not from the south, it is the most annoying, fastest growing weed/bush/tree that grows up in fence rows and every where else).

Comment

ChewyLouie,
        Have you checked GunsAmerica dot com? Patiently check your local dealers, and look about. Research the cartridge, the rifle, be comfortable with your choice, and fire it regularly. All the best.

Comment

THis is the research stage. Research is not limited to F&S though.

Comment

I bought my mini-14 about 15 years ago. I find mine to be very reliable, and accurate enough for what I use it for. I keep it strapped to my quad when driving around our hunting property, just in case I come across a coyote, or other small varmint. I get 2"-3" groups at 100 yards out of mine, in woods that most times you cant see 100 yards.

Comment

It's easy to field strip, it's easy to clean, and it's a user friendly rifle. However, it does have a tendacy to be finnicky with after market magazines' feeding cycles. This limits you to use genuine Ruger magazines for continued firing reliability. The peep sight needs adjustments after firing, but I wouldn't discount this as a major enigma.This problem can be remedied with an allen wrench that is provided with the brand new rifle. When you field strip the rifle, for cleaning, pay attention to the piston rod's position in the buffer. This effects the ejecting/cocking cycle, as where the rifle's bolt fails to return to battery. Every mechanical device invented has it's own idiosyncracies, this is no exception. I would recommend this rifle as a reliable utility, if it is maintained. It's a mechanical work horse!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Real Quiet
                by Pmacc60
                Hey at least your walking ! Lol so you still got a lot of tread on those tires !!...
                Today, 08:29 AM
              • Real Quiet
                by jhjimbo
                Dosen't anybody have an original thought ?
                Today, 12:23 AM
              • Reply to TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                by FirstBubba
                I believe the movie "White Christmas" came out in 1954. Bing Crosby did this number in 1942.

Bing Crosby - "White Christmas"...
                Today, 08:26 AM
              • TGIF; Off the Big Screen
                by fitch270
                So I mentioned this last week, we’ve posted a few songs off soundtracks before but I think there’s loads of material left to cover. Not only are there...
                Yesterday, 11:01 PM
              • Reply to Real Quiet
                by fitch270
                I don’t feel new again....
                Today, 08:21 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X