Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best model rifle for hunting/target shooting? I'm thinking of buying one in 30-06 or 25-06.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best model rifle for hunting/target shooting? I'm thinking of buying one in 30-06 or 25-06.

What is the best model rifle for hunting/target shooting? I'm thinking of buying one in 30-06 or 25-06.

Any Rifle made from Cooper Firearm's or Jarrett Firearm's in the Caliber of your Choice.

Comment

Savage makes extremely accurate target rifles too, and they won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Comment

pudge

WOW! Good question!
        With today's technology, it's tough to say ABC or XYZ!
        There are so many nice rifles and combinations (wood/stainless/synthetic/blued, ect,etc) out there. What I'd do is head over to your local "big box" store and "handle" everything on the shelf in your price range. Hopefully, something will feel "special"!
        Good luck!
        BTW! Do the same thing with the scope. Hands on is THE best method.

Comment

The Winchester Model 70 Super Grade is a the top of my list with its controlled-feed mechanism.

Comment

.25-06 shoots flatter out farther while the 30-06 will take larger game. In fact the .30-06 can take any game animal on this continent in the right hands. I would not make that same claim of the .25-06. So the ball is in your court. Do you need a flat shooting long range rifle for whitetail and smaller game, or do you need a long range rifle that may require some bullet drop calculations for anything you might need to shoot, up to and including moose and brown bear. Or, if in reality, you will never hunt anything larger than a whitetail at no more than 100 yards, grandpa's old .30-30 is plenty of gun.

Comment

Being a hunting freak, I always preferred Sako rifles for big and small hunting game. I was using "Sako JRS1H22 Stainless Hunter .204 Ruger Rifle" since 1 year and was fond of it for sure but my recent buy from a online dealer eurooptic.com - "Sako JRS1H41 Stainless Hunter .300 WSM Rifle" given me a unparalleled experience in hunting. It is the best what i feel, so go for it.

Comment

In the choice between the .25-'06 and .30-'06 for hunting/target, I would lean toward the .30-'06 because match-grade bullets are available in thirty caliber. The .25-'06 (and a dozen other cartridges) would be a fine choice for hunting; however, when you cite targets as a priority, I would choose a caliber for which the best projectiles can offer the best results, and that would support the .264-.280-.308 Match bullets. You didn't mention the .308 Win., which is another fine cartridge option. When the need for accuracy is a primary requirement, I have a fondness for stainless bolt action rifles with heavy barrels, so the Winchester Model 70, the Remington Model 700 VLS or the Tactical, the Sako Varmint Laminated (in .308) and several others are attractive options. I would modify my recommendations if I knew what distances you intended to shoot targets, since it's a bit wasteful to use a 500 meter rifle at a 100 yard range, but you've asked a good question and manufacturers of good rifles have already responded to it. Answers for a question like this usually materialize when you pour money on them. . The more you're willing to spend, the greater your spectrum of options, but off-the-shelf rifles are available to satisfy your requirements.

Comment

It's fairly safe to say that Sako Arms (made in Finland) makes some of the best, if not THE best factory rifles in the world. I do not know anyone that has handled and shot Sako rifles that have not been impressed. Cheers

Comment

I don't think either of them is a great choice for a target rifle. I would pick a .243 or .223 Rem for a target rifle. Either would be great for a hunting rifle.

Comment

As long as elk and larger, more dangerous animals are not on your menu, I would go with the 25-06. If you hunt the larger game, then it is the 30-06 for sure. I think that the 25-06's speed has gotten me more game than anything I've tried. I would not use either of these rifles for competitive target shooting but if I HAD to, it would easily be the 25-06 because of its lower recoil and ability to shoot 75g bullets. This is because of ballistic coefficients, not bullet accuracy. I get plenty of top notch bullets in .25 caliber. I shoot mainly 75g bullets for targets and you can get plenty of bullets/rifles that shoot .1 to .2 MOA in 25-06.

I have shot custom 25-06 barrels most of my life but am now shooting a 25-06 Rem 700 Sendero for long range/varmint hunting and a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight for short range/tough walking conditions. I feel the Sendero is quite acceptable for target/varmint shooting and have not been disappointed. It is good to 1000 yards on prairie dogs. The 115g Berger hunting bullets will flatten a deer at 600 yards with no problem and the Sendero is quite capable of hitting them in the heart at that range. My most accurate .25 caliber bullets out to 300 yards are typically the low recoiling 75g flat based bullets. Out to 500 yards, the Sierra Match Kings and Game Kings. Beyond that the 115g Bergers are hard to beat. They will shoot p-dogs just fine at 1000 yards if you can do your job and have a decent rifle. The Coopers rifle is another fine choice. With most other over the counter rifles, you are rolling the dice. Some shoot well, some... not so well. I think that for lower priced rifles, you can count on the Tikas, the Savages and the Vanguard/Howa 1500s to shoot pretty well although a custom barrel should beat them every time. Just glass bed them if you want better accuracy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                        Today, 11:12 AM
                      • More Bad News....
                        by WA Mtnhunter
                        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                        07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by rock rat
                        Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                        Today, 10:59 AM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to More Bad News....
                        by dewman
                        Had a big long post typed half dozen times but I just won't discuss losing my dogs. Doubt I ever will. I know what you're feeling, I am sorry for your...
                        Today, 10:55 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X