Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody like the Ruger American rifle because it seems nobody really likes it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody like the Ruger American rifle because it seems nobody really likes it?

Does anybody like the Ruger American rifle because it seems nobody really likes it?

I wouldn't say that.

I judged it rather harshly when it first came out... but it doesn't mean that it doesn't fill its intended purpose to at least some extent.

In other words some may like it, and others might even love it, but I'm not impressed personally.

1. I'm not a fan of having "small" ejection ports, or hooded or whatever its called. I think it's a bad design feature from the standpoint of possibly having to clear a field jam quickly. It's also not very user friendly for inserting a single round in through the port.
    *Pros to this is that it stiffens (less flex) the action and should theoretically make for a more accurate weapon platform.

2. I'm skeptical of the V block bedding system they use.

3. The accu-trigger knockoff they use doesn't really accomplish anything of real value. It only locks the trigger and NOT the sear!

4. The all plastic rotary magazine just doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

However, for the price point at which it's selling (around here at least) it is much less than the MSRP was originally set. This makes it one of the better values for what it is. I've yet to personally shoot one, although thus far I've heard mostly good things about them in the accuracy department.

Comment

To date I have not shot one so I can't give you a fair opinion,first post was very good and honest +1 for bruisedsausage.

Comment

My buddy just bought one in .243. I looked it over and for an entry rifle it looked okay. Pretzel gave it a good review. I will give you a better report when my buddy gets around to testing his.

Comment

Bruised:

Keep in mind that the Accutrigger of Savage does the same thing.

Comment

AMflyer

No, the Accutrigger blocks the sear from being released! The Ruger doesn't do this, only blocks the trigger.

This shows how savage does this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOS0QCwvlM

Comment

It is probably a good shooting entry level piece. I have picked up a couple and dimensionally they do not fit me. I am hesitant to buy any rifle if I do not instantly like the fit, feel, and balance. Perhaps it fits lots of other folks.

Comment

The rifle gets the job done. Is it going to be the nicest rifle out there? No. Will you get a considerably better quality product if you spend more money? Of course. That being said, my buddy has one in .308 and it'll shoot under an inch groups at 100 yards all day long. I do not however understand why people worry so much about the polymer clips though. Yes, it's "plastic" but it will work just great if you take the time to use it properly. I have never had a problem with polymer clips and I've cycled thousands of rounds through them. For the price, I would say that it is a great call for someone just getting into hunting and does not want to spend a lot of cash. It also makes for a decent back up rifle I suppose.

Comment

I have had polmyer magazines on Tikka's and even in my Sako A7 ,which is part polymer. I have had alot more trouble over the years bending the lips on metal magazines than I have ever had with polymer magazines. I have had zero problems with polymer mags and I have had 8 or 9 rifles with them. I think that people confuse the two terms "plastic and "polymer" there is a big difference.

Comment

Just a comment on Sarge's remark. Amen! I've never had a problem with any of my polymer mags on either rifles or pistols, even after dropping them. Can't say the same for my metal mags. Drop a metal mag on rocky ground, or try to force feed it in a hurry-up situation, and you may likely face problems with feeding, cycling, or failure to immediately drop upon release. Even top of the line metal mags like Wilson Combat don't hold up to hard use (sometimes abuse) as well as polymer.

Comment

You would probably be happier with a Weatherby Vanguard 2. F&S did an article a few months ago on low priced rifles and said it was the only one in the bunch that looked like a more expensive rifle. I have one and really like it. Not a big fan of Ruger I am.

Comment

I like the compact I believe we got it on sale for $259_$275 at field and stream in 7mm08
                        Perfect gun for 11 to 15 year olds. What's the weather by costing 499? Ruger even sent a stock pad that holds shells for free

Comment

I have the Ruger American 22 mag it is a piece of junk,bolt constantly opens,now after less than 100 shots it will not fire,does not seem to be cocking,I called the factory because it has been over 2 years since I bought it they will not pay the shipping,there is loose motion in the bolt,the problem is definately in it and not in the rest of gun,but when I asked about returning the bolt only was told I had to send the whole gun ,this gun is not really worth the price of shipping it to the factory,will likely just forget it and buy something better made

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad