Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've all had a few disappointments, but have you ever traded for or purchased a firearm that far exceeded your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    EJP
    As an aside!
    I have the little green RCBS powder funnel. My Hornet cases protrude up beyond the mouth of the funnel making it difficult to get ALL the powder into the case. With a charge like 9.75grs, it doesn't take but a few flakes to be off.
    I took my youngest daughter to see a doctor one day and sitting in the waiting room, I noticed the little black, disposable, gizmos they use to look into your ears. WOW! A funnel that fits INTO the Hornet case mouth!
    The black "thingie" fits into the case mouth and the RCBS funnel fits very well into the "thingie"! No powder loss!

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    Here in WV rifles are legal for spring and fall turkey hunting. The .22 Hornet is my turkey hunting rifle. Perfect, not too powerful but enough to get the job done.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    EJP
    In the last year or two, Texas has made small bore rifles legal for "Spring Turkey". Certainly wish my state would do likewise. I absolutely LOVE the Hornet on turkeys!
    At this point, rifles are legal ONLY for toms in the fall here!
    Sure is irritating to watch that tom hang up at 60/70 yards and blow your hair back gobbling and strutting! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    FirstBubba,
    I certainly enjoy shooting the .22 Hornet! And it performs well on small game. I have about 200 brass cases, and I'll process a few this Saturday. Thank you for the recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    EJP, Sarge

One reason for my NEF Hornet was because I reload. I had heard, more than once, the Hornet was a resl stickler to load for.
    First, I opted for a "mid-range" bullet, loading Sierra's 45 gr PSP.
    Second, I'm a KISS (keep it simple stupid!) person. I load all my "metallics with two powders.
    IMR 4895 and Herco 2400.
    It took some doing and lots of different loads, but my rifle prefers 9.75 grs of 2400.
    The Hornet is an absolute blast to load for!

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I have a .22 CZ, a 17HMR CZ, a .22 Hornet CZ and a .223 CZ and they are all great shooters. My Hornet shoots Winchester 45 grain Hollow Points into a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. My Ruger wouldn't shoot a 3 inch group at that distance. I shot 25 rounds of 17 HMR into a target at 50 yards and it looks like a .22 hole.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Sarge,
    I have a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet (my second #3 in .22 Hornet) and I haven't been able to coax much more than mediocre accuracy out of it. Years ago, I used a friend's Winchester Model 43 bolt action in .22 Hornet, and it was very accurate, so I didn't know quite what to make of it. The Ruger #3 has been devastating on ground squirrels and jackrabbits with Hornady and Nosler bullets, but no more accurate than my .30-30 lever action. I should make a comparative check of the rate of twist of the CZ and the Ruger #3. Only recently, with 35 grain V-Max bullets, has the Ruger #3 given me praiseworthy accuracy, but I rarely use it beyond 50 yards because the sagebrush is too dense for longer shots and too high for the prone, sitting of kneeling positions. I zero at the bench, but all my shooting afield is usually done in the standing position.
    Every CZ rifles I've examined looks well built to me. It appears I've got some homework to do!

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I had a Ruger .22 Hornet that didn't shoot very well. I sold it and bought a CZ in .22 Hornet. I was shocked at how well the CZ .22 Hornet shot. The .22 Hornet was never really known as a tack driver but mine is. I was amazed at how this rifle performs.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I don't know if it was the "best" deal I ever made, but it's been a.real joy.
    I've always had a "thing" for old or outdated cartridges. At an old, soon to close Gibson's, they must have had 50 NEF's in .22 Hornet. A base and rings hold an antique Weaver K-4 held in reserve.
    Accuracy wise, it's a bit finicky. After 20/25 shots I have to "scrub" the bore and it takes two fouling shots to complete the chore to restore accuracy.
    I have taken a wider variety of game with it than any other firearms I own.
    From deer (target of opportunity, not actually deer hunting!) turkey, feral hogs, 'yotes, right on down to squirrels and frogs. It's just a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Hey WAM...Yes just like in the Godfather, He made me an offer, I could not turn Down.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Tree...you don't mean it! You sold your .358 Win? I was just out shooting mine the other day with some 200 gr Hornady loads.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    A few guns come to mind, but I'll mention 2 incredible deals: An excellent used Marlin 39-A ($80) and a Charles Daly 12 gauge o/u for under $300 (bought new 1973). I love both, but I only bought the Daly when I couldn't convince my long-time friend to keep it, as he was deadly with it for everything that flew or hopped for 38 years. He got the buying itch after seeing the newer Winchester 101.He kept it in near-mint condition, and I couldn't bear to see a stranger snatch it up.

Leave a comment:

replied
    $40 commercial belgian mauser. I posted about it recently shot a jaw dropping .76 group @ 100 yards with factory ammo and me messing with the scope. killer good deal! Hopefully it will drop a cow elk should i draw out.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Yes. As a young teenager some years ago, I was fortunate to be able to purchase two different firearms from two different people.

One was a 'gently' used M1 .30 cal. carbine which performed beyond my expectations.

The other one was another 'VERY gently' used 20-gauge three shot Mossberg shotgun with three chokes, which screwed onto the end of the barrel. It was another great firearm for me.

For EACH of those guns I paid the sum of only $20.00...!! Best firearm buys I ever made.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    While out on the yard sale run, I come across a old beat-up Savage Mod~99 Marked (358~Brush Gun) on the Bbl.Broken Stock,No butt-plate,No sight at all!...His asking Price $100..my offer $30.00 He said it yours. $355.00 Dollars my cost at my Guns & Gun Sports Shop,my guys in the back room Reworked this junker in to a masterpiece, with all Original Savage parts and Blued a Power-coat light mint camo-green Barrel/Action, Shoots Super great but a bear on RECOIL>>>>and long since Sold.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad