Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've all had a few disappointments, but have you ever traded for or purchased a firearm that far exceeded your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've all had a few disappointments, but have you ever traded for or purchased a firearm that far exceeded your expectations?

We've all had a few disappointments, but have you ever traded for or purchased a firearm that far exceeded your expectations?

A client was unable to pay for work I'd done, but offered me a sporterized Model 98 Mauser with a Douglas XX barrel chambered in .270 Win., and that rifle proved to be a fine performer!

Comment

I once traded up for a new Remington Model 700 in .222 Rem. that was the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle with factory ammunition that I've ever owned.
      Many years later, I sold it to a neighbor whose young son won a turkey shoot with it.

Comment

My Mossberg 835 has been fantastic. I was expecting a quality shotgun for turkey hunting. I found an incredible turkey gun with great range, tight shooting,easy operation. It also has the versatility of shooting 3 1/2", 3", and 2 3/4" shells for a multitude of game.

Comment

Yes. My Savage LRPV in 22-250, scary accurate with everything from 49 grain to 69 grain bullets. I knew it would be accurate based upon past history with Savages but this one far exceeded any of my expectations. Mine is a single shot with right bolt left port action that sets up well for me becasue I am right handed but left eye dominant. It is so accurate that shooting at 100 yards has become boring!

Comment

I have had several that turned out to be real gems, both performance wise and $$ investment wise.
            My Weatherby MkV turned out to be better than i hoped as did my Weatherby o/u 12ga grade III. A Browning Challenger .22lr was used to compete in indoor matches and still carried to the field to get the big grays.
            Being left hand i have found several over the years that i used for a time, worked up loads for and then sold. I have probably owned and traded over 100 guns so far. I have several unrealized $$ gains from guns i bought 50 years ago. I guess my heirs will realize the dollar gains as they are my favorites and not for sale.

Comment

I had pretty high expectations for a new long range barrel I purchaed for my 1000 yard rifle. I had it cranked on my M98 Mauser action and took it to the range for break in. After zeroing it, I shot my first three shot group with a barrel cleaning between each shot. The first shot went OK and hit right where I expected. The second shot appeared to miss the target completely as there was only one hole visible in the target. I began to worry about where on earth that bullet had gone, but fired the third shot.

I was shocked! Still only one hole and I started to worry that I had invested in a 12 MOA barrel. When I went up to the target, I started looking around for signs of where the other bullets must have hit. There was no sign in the backstop of other rounds passing by. As I inspected the target closer, I noticed that the one hole was a little large. Upon measuring it, I discovered that it was actually almost a tenth of an inch too large because all three bullets passed through that hole.

I had to hold back a big smile and proceeded with the breakin. I had to get used to a new standard in accuracy that I had never experienced before and by the end of the day, my expectations were far exceeded. For me a rifle's accuracy is what defines it and this one made me exceptionally happy. I quickly developed a fondness for that rifle and have had immense fun with it every since.

Comment

A friend of my brothers was selling a .300 Weatherby Magnum, and I really didn't need the gun, but it was a good price. After sitting in the closet for a couple of seasons, I decided to place a 4 X 12 scope on it and see what it could do at a long distance.

To my surprise, after zeroing it in I could hit a target dead on, out to 504 yards. At the time my son was a sniper in Iraq, and while home on leave he bought me a Harris Bi-Pod which enabled me to have solid support and the confidence for long range practice.

Comment

If memory serves, it was late 1991 when I stepped into a gun shop and saw a mixed lot of approximately 20 Mauser rifles (M1908, M1909 and M1912), new arrivals the shop had purchased from Century Arms. All were liberally coated with cosmoline, but the price was irresistable. I began examining the rifles and narrowed my choices to three. The bores were filled with cosmoline, so I checked serial numbers, the bolt faces, the general condition of the actions, etc. Most of the stocks exhibited shipping damage, but I intended to replace the stocks. It was the metalwork that concerned me.
                  At the time, I enjoyed working with Mauser and Springfield rifles that were "past their prime" and I'd rebuild them into varmint or deer rifles. I patiently removed the cosmoline from the Model 1909 Argentine Mauser I'd chosen for myself, which was chambered for the 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser, a cartridge I hadn't worked with before. After purchasing a few boxes of Norma brass and Sierra 150-grain Spitzer bullets, I took it to the range and started at 50 yards, shooting 3 and 5-shot groups. Briefly, I was very pleasantly surprised with the tight groups the rifle delivered!
                  I still have that rifle, though it looks a bit different now. A Model 1908 Brazilian contract in 7x57mm was restocked and eventually given to my nephew as a gift. The 1909 remains in my possession.

Comment

Years ago I helped a friend build a porch. As a thank-you he gave me an old .30-06 built around a Mauser 98 action. It had a very beautiful stock hiding under a neglected finish, but it was cracked directly under the action. You could only see the crack with the action out. He had picked it up cheap from an acquaintance years earlier and never used it. I had no plans to actually use it, but couldn't let it remain in that condition with its beautiful, raised-cheekpiece burled walnut stock. Had my gunsmith use his expoxy mix to repair the stock, refinish the wood and give the action/bolt/barrel a good cleaning. The bolt seemed very loose, even for a Mauser, so I didn't think it would amount to much other than a real looker. I didn't even replace the scope, which is a fixed 4x with no name, just stamped "Japan" on the bottom. It has several unique engravings on the barrel, but neither my gunsmith nor anyone he showed it to recognized them. He gave it the OK to fire, so I thought I'd take it to the range before permanently hanging in on the wall in my office. I had an experience similar to DakotaMan's above. One ragged hole grouping. I have never taken it hunting (it weighs 10 pounds), but make sure it gets an occasional workout at the range, where it always attracts attention.

Comment

I have also been surprised by a refurbished Sig Sauer P229 pistol in 40 S & W. I believe it had been owned by a Police agency and had been sent back to Sig in some kind of trade-in program. Anyway, I bought it used at a great price and didn't know that it had been factory re-furbished until they showed me the red box that it came in from Sig. I don't know how it shot before it was re-furbished but I am on the look-out for any others. It out shoots any other pistol that I own.

Comment

While out on the yard sale run, I come across a old beat-up Savage Mod~99 Marked (358~Brush Gun) on the Bbl.Broken Stock,No butt-plate,No sight at all!...His asking Price $100..my offer $30.00 He said it yours. $355.00 Dollars my cost at my Guns & Gun Sports Shop,my guys in the back room Reworked this junker in to a masterpiece, with all Original Savage parts and Blued a Power-coat light mint camo-green Barrel/Action, Shoots Super great but a bear on RECOIL>>>>and long since Sold.

Comment

Hi...

Yes. As a young teenager some years ago, I was fortunate to be able to purchase two different firearms from two different people.

One was a 'gently' used M1 .30 cal. carbine which performed beyond my expectations.

The other one was another 'VERY gently' used 20-gauge three shot Mossberg shotgun with three chokes, which screwed onto the end of the barrel. It was another great firearm for me.

For EACH of those guns I paid the sum of only $20.00...!! Best firearm buys I ever made.

Comment

$40 commercial belgian mauser. I posted about it recently shot a jaw dropping .76 group @ 100 yards with factory ammo and me messing with the scope. killer good deal! Hopefully it will drop a cow elk should i draw out.

Comment

A few guns come to mind, but I'll mention 2 incredible deals: An excellent used Marlin 39-A ($80) and a Charles Daly 12 gauge o/u for under $300 (bought new 1973). I love both, but I only bought the Daly when I couldn't convince my long-time friend to keep it, as he was deadly with it for everything that flew or hopped for 38 years. He got the buying itch after seeing the newer Winchester 101.He kept it in near-mint condition, and I couldn't bear to see a stranger snatch it up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Masks
                                by crm3006
                                Here ya go, boys and girls. I'm not much in favor of posting links, but this one is both thought provoking and hilarious! ...
                                Yesterday, 11:17 PM
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ellison is Keith Ellison. Once a Rep from MN. He is also a Muslim.
                                He gave up his House seat to run for MN AG. That will set him up to run for...
                                Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                                by crm3006
                                She is one of those soros backed DAs, and being inexperienced, way overcharged the officer for the offence. A local talk radio show host, who has two...
                                Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X