Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good long range rifle I've been shooting for years just figured I could use some advice on my next rifle whenever I say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good long range rifle I've been shooting for years just figured I could use some advice on my next rifle whenever I say

What's a good long range rifle I've been shooting for years just figured I could use some advice on my next rifle whenever I say long range rifle I mean (1000/1200) yard gun and yes I can shoot that far I currently own a savage 338 lapua and let me tell you if you have a good set of glass on that bad boy the sky is the limit with these fine rifles.

You have one of the Best, if you want more Yards hang Bigger and Better Glass to Shoot Zip code to Zip code!

Comment

Well my glass is nightforce I've used them for a long time is there better out there...? The reason I want another rifle is due to the fact the 338 ammo is so expensive I'm looking to spend around $5000 on the rifle no more.

Comment

The 264 win mag and the 6.5 creedmore are both great guns on the 1,000 yard line. If you have 5k to drop on a rifle you should invest in some reloading equipment. Good luck

Comment

Start reloading

Comment

Check out Bergara BCR-15 .300WinMag or .300RUM

base price $4,000

Comment

not much better than what you got but with 5 grand whats the cost of a 50 cal. and get the biggest one on the market

Comment

Kind of like buying a brand new truck to get 3 mpg more, isn't it?

Comment

It depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you are target shooting and just trying to poke holes, the lighter recoil choices like 6.5x284 do a great job at 1000 yards. Low recoil will do far more for your accuracy than attempting to upgrade the NightForce glass.

If you want to have enough energy to kill deer or elk sized game at that range, you have to get at minimum a .300 magnum. The .338 Lapua has plenty of power too but I've seen mixed results with it at that range because of its recoil and what it does to a nervous trigger finger. If you can stay smooth on the trigger, it is a good choice also.

I shoot a .300 Dakota with finely tuned hand loads and that does just fine at that range. It has an exceptionally accurate barrel though. I have been consistently outshooting the big boomers with it and I notice that many hunters have a tough time being accurate with a rifle that slides them backwards with every shot. If you miss an elk's vital zone at 1200 yards with a .338 Lapua, its energy does nothing for you. That is why I'm shooting that cartridge rather than the .338.

The cartridge alone doesn't make a good long range shooter either. Accuracy is paramount at that range and a perfectly chambered premium barrel accounts for fully 90% of a rifle's long range accuracy potential.

Such a rifle does not need to be expensive, it just needs a good barrel. I highly suggest you consider a long range Lothar Walther chambered barrel. They don't stand out at 100 yards but they are truly exceptional at long range because of their unique chambering technique among other things.

In terms of caliber, I have been testing some of the new .375 VLD bullets and am very intrigued by their potential as a bullet that will be more accurate than the .338 Lapua and 50 BMG with recoil similar to the .338 Lapua. You will need a custom twist rate (at least a 1:10) to stabilize the big VLD bullets and perhaps a Cheytac case design (or a necked up .338 Lapua) to get them over 3000 fps. We haven't seen much of them yet, but with these new .375 bullets, I think they will break out as the next great long range caliber.

The big .375s will be good for ranges out to 2000 yards and beyond. My suggestion would be to get a custom .375 with a long heavy Lothar Walther barrel for around $3000 and spend the rest on another NightForce for it. If you don't trust your accuracy with your .338 because of recoil, I'd suggest going to a .300 Win or .30/378. I chose the .300 Dakota for its accuracy but wildcats aren't for everyone. Good luck with your .338 and with your new project rifle.

Comment

If you see an elk at 1200 yds shoulder that fancy rifle and get 800-1000 yds closer.

Comment

Is nightforce the best out there....?

Comment

Well the reason I want another rifle, is because the 338 is just a big gun honestly I bought that to just see how far I could shoot just to test myself kind of I guy thing I guess and it was true those guns will do some good as long as the shooter on the other end is half as good as the machine. I'm looking for a gun I can shoot yotes and not completely take them in half.

Comment

Then by all means, grab a remington or surgeon long (standard) length action, get a premium barrel, and have someone of good (match, tactical or long range experience) chamber it for 6.5x284. You can load it with small, 100 or 120 grain bullets at around 3300-3500 (depends on the load and barrel) fps, and you can load deer or elk killing bullets of the 139-140 grain variety around 3000 (off the top of my head, don't quote me lol). If you're going after close range moose, you can even load 160 grain round nose, but they won't be as ballistically efficient "way out there". Dad used to kill moose all the time with 140 grain Swede (6.5x55), and between that and .270 were his favourite deer rifles. I have a tikka in 6.5x55 and have killed three deer with it, from 25 yards to 340, 2 of them running and all of them offhanded, all of them seen. The 6.5 have little drag, little recoil, and GREAT penetration with proper bullets.

As for glass, US Optics makes custom scopes and reticles, Schmidt and Bender is great, and Hendsolt and Zeiss make some ridiculously good glass. If you want to put a bit more in the gun, then a 2000 dollar Vortex Razor, or the new Bushnell 4.5-30 XRS (with a ffp reticle, and a whole bunch of goodies) might work juuuuuust fine

Comment

And by seen, I meant witnessed LOL. Also, if you want to go the factory route, Savage has the LRH in 6.5x284, which Dave Petzal has a wonderful review on. He also reviews the 6.5x284 cartridge in depth

Comment

What about nightforce what do you guys think....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad