Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dave, I have always heard shooting .22 shorts in a rifle marked for Long Rifle,Long, and shorts will ruin the chamber. Is this t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave, I have always heard shooting .22 shorts in a rifle marked for Long Rifle,Long, and shorts will ruin the chamber. Is this t

Dave, I have always heard shooting .22 shorts in a rifle marked for Long Rifle,Long, and shorts will ruin the chamber. Is this true?

no, you can create a layer of funk that can cause extraction issues.

Comment

The use of shorts will cause some corrosion in the forward part of the chamber, but this can be controlled by regular cleaning.

Comment

You can use a 22 short in a long rifle as long as it is not an auto, because it won't cycle. As far as damage to your chamber nothing is going to happen, it might get a little dirty but that's it. And the only thing that is different between a long and a long rifle is bullet length, the case length is the same.

Comment

Not sure which Dave this was directed to, but using .22 CB Longs will give the sub velocity performance without worry about creating a second flash ring in the forward part of the chamber.

Comment

I don't know for certain. I have been putting .22 shorts pretty regularly through a Marlin Glenfield 25 for about a decade now (and it was well used when I purchased it)and it is so marked as .22lr, .22long, .22short. I haven't had a problem or sign of damage and on that particular rifle rarely do I do more than run a brush and patch through it and put it away again, which happens about quarterly on a rifle that sees use a couple of times in an average month.

Comment

My first rifle was a Mossberg model 350 semi auto. The 7 shot magazine is adjustable for shorts, longs and long rifles. It still shoots and cycles like it did in 1963. The only help I could use is trying to find out where I can purchase a spare mag.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you have a semi-auto that is "marked" for .22 Shorts,longs,long rifle and keep clean it will work.
                But long term use of shorts in a rifle meant for 22Lr it makes a fire ring in the chamber, that needs a good cleaning before using .22Lr.

Comment

Carl H/ try www.e-gunparts.com

Comment

Hi...

Have used many of all three .22s, and never had a problem with any of them in my .22 semi-auto. As was stated elsewhere though, the shorts were not powerful enough to eject themselves.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                      by franchi20
                      I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                      Today, 07:40 PM
                    • Debate #2: new rules
                      by FirstBubba
                      New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                      The "Biden Campaign"!...
                      10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                    • Reply to What's after Trump?
                      by franchi20
                      Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                      Today, 07:34 PM
                    • What's after Trump?
                      by FirstBubba
                      No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                      There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                      Today, 01:46 PM
                    • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                      by fitch270
                      The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                      Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X