X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rifle announced by Weatherby. Details in first post

New rifle announced by Weatherby. Details in first post

WAM and others,

Have you heard the announcement that Weatherby has thrown their hat into the Black Rifle market?

The new WAR-15 rifle will be released to the public two weeks from yesterday. According to the official press release:

"It will be a combination of old and new. We have taken the tried and true principles of the Mark V line and combined with the AR-15 type of rifle so popular these days. Retained will be the normal-capacity magazines (30 rounds) and pistol grip from the AR, but we add the distinctive Weatherby touch of executing the stock and grips in high-grade Claro Walnut, complete with high-rise Monte Carlo comb and deep gloss finish. Of course, the action and barrel (27”, including the engraved flash-hider) will be polished and premium-blued."

Apparently a new, proprietary cartridge will be introduced as well. A double-radiused case will be made from the .404 Jeffrey case, necked down to .224 and shortened to a nominal OAL of 2.260”. The cartridge, which has been in development for several years, is to be officially christened the .224 BO, which stands for “Best Option,” although it is commonly known as “Balls-Out” or the “Barack Obama,” the latter apparently in homage for all that the current President has done for the firearms manufacturing companies. Industry insiders did note that the new WAR will have approximately 3.4” of freebore, so OAL becomes a function of the magazine rather than chamber. There is a trade-in program for used barrels, allowing a maximum of 12 swaps per calendar year.

Of course, this type of weapon will not be inexpensive, especially for the ammunition. While the rifle itself will sell for a suggested retail price of $4350, a box of 20 rounds for the rifle will carry a MSRP of $74.95.

“We feel that most sportsmen will not feel that the cost is prohibitive, either for the rifle itself or the ammo. To be honest, the ‘real-world’ price for a box of ammo is more in the $50-60 dollar range. This puts it right up there with a box of 5.56 NATO ammunition as far as price, and at a much higher performance level.”

Sources say that pre-orders for the rifle have already exceeded the manufacturing capability for the next 4 years, and they are not accepting backorders at this time.
    Ammunition can be had at most gun shows and on auction sites such as Gunbroker and GunsAmerica. Due to demand, most retailers are setting their prices higher than MSRP, although several have indicated that they will break up individual boxes for trade.

“I’ll do a round-for-round trade of the new Weatherby stuff for 22 LR,” one well-stocked gun show seller noted. “I heard that Homeland Security ordered, like, 2 billion rounds or something.”

Comment

Amflyer,

Too bad you boys were slow on the trigger. I got mine on order beforethe backlog. I'll probably list it on Gunbroker and swap it for 10 or 11 Kel-tec PMR-30s for which MSRP is $415 and selling for around $750. Meanwhile, I'll wait for my Lee dies to come and start cranking out .224 Butthead Obummer rounds for $4 a piece forthe gunshows. I see early retirement on this boondoggle!

Comment

I hate to be the naysayer, but it sounds like Weatherby is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Comment

nosler also is releasing one from what i understand.

Comment

99, don't hate on the rifle too much until you check it out. Just wait the thirteen days before you make up your mind.

Comment

A $4000.00+ AR with Claro Walnut and a high capacity mag shooting $74 dollar a box ammo?
              I don't get it.

Comment

Chuckles, velocities are reported at 4800+fps. Once you squeeze of a couple of those bad boys I get the feeling you'll know what it's for.

I have heard that on the prototypes (full auto) there were actually seven bullets in the barrel at the same time, probably because of the 27-inch length. That's a lot of firepower.

In addition to the high level of quality, there are going to be all sorts of cool accessories too. Plans are for case-hardened back up iron sights, a patent leather covered hard case, and a slip-on rubber grip made from the same material used by the Navy seals. You won't find those types of things on a "lesser rifle."

Comment

Amflyer, have fun with yours. It would be a little rich for my blood. That rifle plus a couple hours at the range would buy the next three rifles I have planned.

Comment

I have to wonder if there will be any checkering on that high-grade Claro Walnut, or would that be an extra.

Comment

Thank you for the post Amflyer but I don't think this one will fly,sounds cool but to much money to be anything but an odyssey.

Comment

Jeez guys, I know it's a fair chunk of change, but it's a very well-thought out platform with a lot of included extras. It will be packaged with the first true ambidextrous rifle sling ($279.00 MSRP) and has a lot of other thoughtful items. The literature talks about how the threads on the front sight post were reversed, off-setting the tendency for the sights to change due to the RH rifling twist of the barrel. There is also a built in safety measure in which the rifle actually cycles so quickly that a overcharged reload would not burst the case until it has safely been ejected many feet from the shooter. That right there makes it useful, not only to SWAT teams and guys like Green Berets, but to avid hand loaders and long-range hunters. You have to consider what you get for your money with the cheap "tacticool" run-of-the-mill $1700 Rock Rivers and such.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad