Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i got a new remington 700 270 to deer hunt with. what brand and size scope would you recommend for me to put on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a new remington 700 270 to deer hunt with. what brand and size scope would you recommend for me to put on it?

i got a new remington 700 270 to deer hunt with. what brand and size scope would you recommend for me to put on it?

3x9 leupold redfield nikon,good stert with the rifle!Good luck in the future.

Comment

3.5x10x40 is what is on my 270 wsm. where i hunt is probably considered mostly brush gun country but i havent had any issue picking up close range deer on low power. and the 10x magnification is more then enough to go long range.

Comment

On all of my deer rifles I have Nikon Buckmasters 3X9X50 . The 50MM lens gathers more light at dawn and dusk when the deer stir the most. I have one 4X12X50 Nikon Buckmaster that I use when I know that I am going to be in more open country. The 12 power gives me a little more advantage in open country. You have a flat shooting cartridge, take advantage of it.

Comment

yea like sarge said get 3x9 or 4x12 and at def 50mm. and also nikon is the way to go

Comment

I like Bushnell Brand 3-9x40 or 2.5-7x40 for that low light morning, but it all depens on the type of terain you hunt,green field,deep woods,power-lines W/Woods,Swamp...all the scopes mention above are also good, it all depends on $$$$$ you can spend.

Comment

I like the Nikon Buckmaster, Mine is a 3x9x40 on a .308. A 4x12x50 would also be a good choice for your .270

Comment

I have three .270's. One wears a 3x9 Leupold VX-I. One wears an older Redfield 4x and the third wears an antique Weaver K4! Scope "power" is much less important than scope quality.. Spend a little extra for quality and you'll be set for life.
                Leupold is an excellent choice.
                Good luck, good hunting!

Comment

Keep in mind that there are differing opinions and principles involved in choosing the right scope for your rifle.

Caliber is the main consideration. You have a .270 Winchester. Using the American standard, the obvious choice would be a 2 X 7 power scope. See how that works? 270 rifle, 2 X 7 power scope.

I started with the American standard for choosing scopes because this is an American rifle.
                  If, however, you are partial to imported glass (As I am. Wolfgang Von Svarovski makes really good stuff) keep in mind that you will need to use multiplication to choose your scope. Get a calculator now if you don't have one built into your wristwatch

Using the European standard, you would need to multiply the magnification numbers on the scope until it resulted up to the first two numbers in you rifle caliber.

So, the logical scope choice would be a 3 X 9, as when multiplied they give us the number 27, for .270. Simple.

Keep in mind that his only works for calibers invented from 1922 to 1925. Subsequent rifles require the use of differential calculus or the Solunar TablesĀ®

Comment

OWWW! Thanks Amflyer! Now I have a migraine!

Comment

I tend to match the scope to the rifle rather than the caliber. A small slim carbine looks ridiculous with a big clumsy scope.
                      Of course, I also tend to match the rifle to the caliber, so there is a sense of proportion throughout.

Comment

I don't use proportion near as much as, "Hmm, that'd look good with a ____on it! "
                        If I can get a rifle/scope combo to "work", it has a permanent "hat"!
                        I also prefer* hand rubbed oil finished wood, matte finish blued metal and fixed power scopes. JMO.

*-prefer - not always what I've acquired!

Comment

Someone must lie awake nights thinking his stuff up! LMAO!

Comment

I'll second the vote for Leupold -- I've used VX-II's in 3x9 and all continue to perform perfectly. I've never had to send one back for service, but I've heard that, if you need to, the service is excellent.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad