Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, March Madness shows the 7mmSTW being beat out by the .280Rem? I thought the 7mmSTW was developed to shoot from horizon to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrantHarland
    replied
    Unfortunately people are selecting the caliber rifle they like rather than what actually is a great distance gun. 30-06 is the likely favorite.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    jhjimbo I think your right on that one,bigger to a point is better in the shooting world and the 7 rem mag is that.It is a magnum but not a over bore,most shooters can hang with the recoil ammo is abundant its a good choice.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I am going on a limb and say the 7mmRemMag will win and edge out the .280Rem and .270Win.

Anybody else care to guess?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Not to float off point, but Outdoor Life website is also having March Madness with Monster Bucks. These bucks are all fantastic and it’s hard to choose when voting between two.
    Right now there voting on the Midwest bracket, of trophy bruiser bucks.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Just goes to show you that folks vote with their emotions and not practical thinking and logic. Look where we are with Obummer. Speaks volumes for the Mensa candidates here and elsewhere......

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    I have always felt the 280 Rem was the new and improved 30 06 if that makes any sense.With all the better bullets in the last thirty years(design and construction)the 280 is as all around as it gets but with that title being held by 06 it has a limited success.We as shooters don't need all the guns and cal we have but we buy them anyway its what makes shooting fun!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Sarge, you are a practical and logical thinker. We've seen a number of cartridges introduced and a few of them withered and died on the shelves soon after. It never made a great deal of sense to me to forsake what works well for what "might" work.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    I have always preached the merits of the .280 and now it seems like someone else is catching on.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    The ,264 Win is an impressive performer and the selection of available 6.5mm bullets gives it a measure of versatility. The 7mm Rem Mag is another cartridge I can describe in the same terms. However, for the amount of powder you burn and the performance you net, I think the .264 is a bit too overbore to be practical. The 6.5mm-'06 makes sense to me; the .264 Win Mag does not. In terms of versatility and terminal ballistic performance, I regard the .308 as a practical cartridge (for my needs). The .264 Win Mag will definitely reach out there and touch something, as will the 7mm Mag, but I am unlikely to require what either of these cartridges can offer.
    In truth, anything more than a medium-capacity cartridge with bores of .25 to .30 caliber seems to go to waste in my possession, and I don't think of myself as "typical", nor do I argue with those who have needs greater than my own in terms of long-range accuracy and terminal ballistic capability. I haven't worked with the 7mm STW, but the .280 more than fulfilled any reasonable requirement for me.

Leave a comment:

• Wow, March Madness shows the 7mmSTW being beat out by the .280Rem? I thought the 7mmSTW was developed to shoot from horizon to

Wow, March Madness shows the 7mmSTW being beat out by the .280Rem? I thought the 7mmSTW was developed to shoot from horizon to horizon? I guess this says tons about the .280Rem. Another upset looks like the lonely .308 'short pants' taking honors away from the .264WinMag. Tell me it ain't so. Any guess who the ultimate long range winner is going to be?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad