Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there room or need in the line up of center fire cartridges for a manufacturer to squeeze in another one ? Or, is there a wi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there room or need in the line up of center fire cartridges for a manufacturer to squeeze in another one ? Or, is there a wi

Is there room or need in the line up of center fire cartridges for a manufacturer to squeeze in another one ? Or, is there a wildcat that has enough of a following to gain the status of a regular manufactured cartridge? Is there an old one that might gain popularity again - like the 8mmRemMag and long action rifles that have seemed to be beaten by the .30 magnums and the likes of the.340WbyMag years ago?

I think there is ALWAYS room in the marketplace for another cartridge! I am often surprised by the ones that don't find a receptive market, and by some of those that do. Most of my activity these days focuses on varminting, and I was genuinely surprised that the .17HMR would find as receptive a response as it did, but I tried one owned by a colleague and it was a great choice for ground squirrels. When the .204 Ruger was introduced, I thought it was a great gamble but it's a performer also. On the other hand, I was surprised when the .225 Winchester wilted and the .250 Savage fell off the charts, so I'm no gauge of what will/won't succeed.
    In terms of medium or big game cartridges, I defer to the more knowledgeable on this forum. I never needed anything greater than a .30-'06 for anything I fired at, and still don't require anything more.

Comment

I think there is always room in the market for a new cartridge provided the marketeers can sell it to enough folks for a particular purpose. I think we hit the saturation point a couple of years ago in big game centerfires with the WSM, WSSM, RSAUM, Ruger Compact Magnums, etc. Every one of them duplicate an existing cartridges's ballistics. Some will survive, some won't. Some kid will be asking 50 years from now on this forum, "What the heck is a .300 Superfatbulletslinger?. I found this old rifle in Grandad's safe. What's the value? I can't find ammo anywhere."

Comment

Room? There's ALWAYS room for ONE more!
        Lot's of us older (?) guys have played, used, sought, bought, swapped, found a multitude if various cartridges!
        I've had lot's of "revelations"!
        Faster is better!
        Bigger is better!
        Ballistic coefficient!
        Boat tail bullets!
        Sectional density!
        Belted case!
        Partition bullets!
        Listen, whether it's a long rifle behind the ear or a Nitro Express in the boiler room, dead is dead.
        ....and yes, there's always room for ONE more!

Two Cajuns, unhappy about duck season being over, decided they needed two more months to hunt ducks.
        Since one of the "gang" was a sitting judge, they approached him with the idea of extending duck season two months.
        "What'cha gonna name 'em?" he asked.
        "Whadda ya mean, name 'em? All twelve monts gotta name!" they protested.
        The judge smiled, "You boys already hunt duck 12 months outta the year. If you hunt ducks two more months, you gotta call 'em something!"

I don't know that there's a number between .2 and .5 that's not already stamped in ordnance steel somewhere!
        So! Whatcha gonna call it! LOL!

Comment

Unquestionably, new cartridge developments sell rifles and breathe new possibilities and vitality into the market. Just when I thought I had all my requirements met by existing rifles, the 6.5mm Creedmoor and the .204 Ruger piqued my ballistic curiosity and I've made room in the safe for them. Does the 6.5mm Creedmoor offer significantly more than the 6.5x55mm (with which I'm very pleased), and does the .204 Ruger do anything better that the .223 and .22-250? I seriously doubt it, but I'd enjoy wringing the last bit of accuracy potential out of rifles chambered for these newer cartridges...just for the fun of it!
          Is there room in the current lineup of centerfire cartridges for new cartridges? Yes, I suspect as long as there's money in my checking account.

Comment

Yeah EJP, I still suffer from "Just One More" myself!
            Scary part is, the "boss" figured out a long time ago money spent on guns is an investment! I don't have a "check" like most guys! LOL!

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a 6mm Ackley in one version or another released. The 280 Ackley is a fair success, and I think a 6mm could be just as successful over the long haul because of its excellent bullet selection. Give me something like a 6mm Rem Improved that's 300 fps faster than the 243Win. I'd be one happy coyote hunter and paper puncher.

Comment

BTW! I have two gun "dreams"!

A Ruger "Single-Six" sized revolver chambered for the .25-20 Win and a bolt gun chambered for a .308 case necked down to .277! Two seventy short?

Oh yeah! A Ruger No. 1 chambered for .300 H&H!

Comment

OlKrusty
                  Can the Ackley brass just be fire formed or is there more to it?
                  Amazing how the 45/70 seems to just keep thumping along, as does the .375H&H. How about another oldie, the 250-3000savage? Any place for a cartridge like that in the line up?
                  I like the idea of a 6mmImproved. Also,i always wanted a 350RemMag but it looks like it's future is dim.

Comment

FirstBubba,
                    In the past, my wife questioned, "Do you NEED another firearm?" I answered that it was a less a matter of need than technical curiosity or experimentation, but I reminded her that we've been married since 1982 and there's been no one but her, so at least I was able to channel my curiosities harmlessly. I commented that I'd found the Perfect Woman, but the quest continues for the Perfect Rifle! She's been very understanding since.

jhjimbo,
                    Most of Ackley's cartridges can be fireformed in the chamber of the parent cartridge, and a few require trimming to length.
                    As for the .250-3000 Savage, I have a Model 70 lightweight carbine chambered for the .250-3000, (photo in my profile) and it's one of my favorites for accuracy and versatility. You can bet there's a place for the .250 in my hands!

Comment

ackley (i think) necked down a 300 savage to .277 i have that info in the garage.

Comment

EJP what a great answer to your wife and I going to use it! Thank you

Comment

The only time my wife said no, one of the kids needed something that overshadowed the "gun fund". No argument from me, I just waited 'til payday. She even encourages me to make some purchases.

Comment

The chronic desperate need for a new rifle aside, I find it hard to muster up enthusiasm for any new calibers being introduced today.
                            The development of rifle cartridges is a rather mature science now, and I suspect the impetus for developing newer ones is the desire to generate sales of new rifles.

Comment

The 17 HMR 204 Ruger 270 WSM 300 WSM 17 Hornet all tell me that we can always use a new round,these all are worth the effort. I think the 204 is one of the finest rounds ever developed,its fast accurate and not as loud as 22 250 type rounds.We can all make due with 22 LR 223 and a 30 06 but what fun would that be!FirstBubba you got yourself a keeper!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                                by Sarge01
                                The accuracy is outstanding in my 300WSM shooting the Hornady 165 SST's and IMR 4831 powder. In my 308 I use WW748 and the 125 grain Hornady SST's and...
                                Today, 12:30 PM
                              • 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                                by dewman
                                opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year...
                                11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by Pmacc60
                                Of course they were, don’t you know the media is so fair and accurate ? They are so fair to both parties and the huff post is just so reliable! I saw...
                                Today, 12:25 PM
                              • Voter Fraud
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                                by Pmacc60
                                I’m afraid your correct !...
                                Today, 12:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X