Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there room or need in the line up of center fire cartridges for a manufacturer to squeeze in another one ? Or, is there a wi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    With all the hullaballou over the AR how about a new cartridge for the AR platform that is actually useful. Maybe a 6X42 MM or something along those lines

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I think so Pmac! She loves fishing, especially crappie, as well.
    Unless you pay WAY to much for a firearm, they're a good investment and there is always a market.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Can't weight for a .17/45-70 or.17/8mm-Rem~Mag 17/243Win..20/280Rem.....Just dreaming....Lol

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    My gunsmith almost talked me into making a 6.5-06 but i did not do it. I also considered a 30-06A.I. but i did not do that one either. Always wondered how those two would have worked for me.
    I went with a 6.5x55 and have never regretted it.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    The 17 HMR 204 Ruger 270 WSM 300 WSM 17 Hornet all tell me that we can always use a new round,these all are worth the effort. I think the 204 is one of the finest rounds ever developed,its fast accurate and not as loud as 22 250 type rounds.We can all make due with 22 LR 223 and a 30 06 but what fun would that be!FirstBubba you got yourself a keeper!!!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    The chronic desperate need for a new rifle aside, I find it hard to muster up enthusiasm for any new calibers being introduced today.
    The development of rifle cartridges is a rather mature science now, and I suspect the impetus for developing newer ones is the desire to generate sales of new rifles.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The only time my wife said no, one of the kids needed something that overshadowed the "gun fund". No argument from me, I just waited 'til payday. She even encourages me to make some purchases.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    EJP what a great answer to your wife and I going to use it! Thank you

Leave a comment:

replied
    ackley (i think) necked down a 300 savage to .277 i have that info in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    FirstBubba,
    In the past, my wife questioned, "Do you NEED another firearm?" I answered that it was a less a matter of need than technical curiosity or experimentation, but I reminded her that we've been married since 1982 and there's been no one but her, so at least I was able to channel my curiosities harmlessly. I commented that I'd found the Perfect Woman, but the quest continues for the Perfect Rifle! She's been very understanding since.

jhjimbo,
    Most of Ackley's cartridges can be fireformed in the chamber of the parent cartridge, and a few require trimming to length.
    As for the .250-3000 Savage, I have a Model 70 lightweight carbine chambered for the .250-3000, (photo in my profile) and it's one of my favorites for accuracy and versatility. You can bet there's a place for the .250 in my hands!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    OlKrusty
    Can the Ackley brass just be fire formed or is there more to it?
    Amazing how the 45/70 seems to just keep thumping along, as does the .375H&H. How about another oldie, the 250-3000savage? Any place for a cartridge like that in the line up?
    I like the idea of a 6mmImproved. Also,i always wanted a 350RemMag but it looks like it's future is dim.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    BTW! I have two gun "dreams"!

A Ruger "Single-Six" sized revolver chambered for the .25-20 Win and a bolt gun chambered for a .308 case necked down to .277! Two seventy short?

Oh yeah! A Ruger No. 1 chambered for .300 H&H!

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 6mm Ackley in one version or another released. The 280 Ackley is a fair success, and I think a 6mm could be just as successful over the long haul because of its excellent bullet selection. Give me something like a 6mm Rem Improved that's 300 fps faster than the 243Win. I'd be one happy coyote hunter and paper puncher.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Yeah EJP, I still suffer from "Just One More" myself!
    Scary part is, the "boss" figured out a long time ago money spent on guns is an investment! I don't have a "check" like most guys! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Unquestionably, new cartridge developments sell rifles and breathe new possibilities and vitality into the market. Just when I thought I had all my requirements met by existing rifles, the 6.5mm Creedmoor and the .204 Ruger piqued my ballistic curiosity and I've made room in the safe for them. Does the 6.5mm Creedmoor offer significantly more than the 6.5x55mm (with which I'm very pleased), and does the .204 Ruger do anything better that the .223 and .22-250? I seriously doubt it, but I'd enjoy wringing the last bit of accuracy potential out of rifles chambered for these newer cartridges...just for the fun of it!
    Is there room in the current lineup of centerfire cartridges for new cartridges? Yes, I suspect as long as there's money in my checking account.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad