Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since the rifle cleaning question was asked, do you notice any more or any less copper fouling from any particular manufacturer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since the rifle cleaning question was asked, do you notice any more or any less copper fouling from any particular manufacturer

Since the rifle cleaning question was asked, do you notice any more or any less copper fouling from any particular manufacturer or bullet? What make of ammo or bullet seems to be the most copper fouling and which would you say is the least. With similar number of rounds fired. I know this is very subjective but just curious if anyone has any observation or opinion?

I have noticed more fouling of the older type gilding metal bullets. I have tried moly coating some but that does not seem to make much difference. There seems to be less on a well lapped barrel with more shots possible between cleaning like when groundhog hunting.
    Just what i have seen in my rifles.

Comment

In my opinion, the degree or extent of copper fouling depends, to great extent, on the condition of the bore. My unassisted eye has difficulty discerning the actual condition of the bore, but a 6X borescope will amaze you. Surfaces that looked smooth from the muzzle may be textured by pitting.

Comment

I find the faster the bullet the least copper fouling
        The slower the bullet the greater fouling...spending more time in the barrel. New rifles=Rougher Bores Older Rifles=Smother Bores=Less copper fouling.

Comment

The original Barnes bullet was nasty for fouling but the new ones and most other bullets are fine. The big difference is the smoothness of the bore. When you look at a bore through a borescope, some look like the surface of a mirror and some look like the surface of a plowed field. Of course the smooth bore will collect less copper fouling. Most expensive custom barrels are the smooth variety. Most over the counter rifles are the rough variety. If you are having trouble with fouling, I suggest CR-10 from Barnes to easily get all the copper out of your bore.

Comment

I agree with EJP and DakotaMan that smooth bores foul less to the point where I think the bore is more significant than the type of bullet. I have an older rifle with a smoth bore (possibly hand lapped) that cleans up quickly with hardly any fouling. I have fire lapped a couple of my rifles with David Tubb's Final Finish abrasive bullets and there is practically no copper fouling in those barrels. So I think it is the quality of the bore rather than type of bullet that results in fouling.

Comment

Safado, why did you use the Tubb's bullets? Meaning to say, what was your complaint before? Did you notice any change in accuracy, or if you hand load in velocity, load, etc?

I have a 7mm that I really like, but it is a fouler. I have considered the Tubb's system but not sure if I should use it or not.

Comment

Safado
                Glad to hear you have had good results with abrasive bullets. I have a Wheeler kit that i have had for years but been hesitant to use. It has 220, 320 and 600 grit and instructions to imbed the compound in your jacketed or lead bullets. Wheeler recommends firing 5 shots at reduced velocity and then check barrel. Move to next grit if satisfied. I have been using J-B bore cleaning compound on a jag and patch which has worked good but may try some compound on some reloads to see if i can improve a bore.

Comment

Amflyer/jhjimbo,
                  I initially used the Tubb system in a Savage .308 Win that was accurate but fouled quite a bit. I mentioned it to one of the guys I respect at the rifle range and he recommended the Tubb system for improving accuracy and reducing fouling. He was right my groups got smaller and the fouling almost went away completely. Based on that I tried it on a brand new Savage in 22-250. The 22-250 is now a definite tack driver; I'm talking five shots in a ragged hole type of accuracy from 100 yards. I hesitate to say it improved the accuracy becasue I had never shot the 22-250 before using the system but it sure didn't hurt it. It definitely reduced the fouling though. I reload but I don't have my own chronograph so I can't say velocity was increased. I can even tell the difference with the cleaning rod there's just less resistance. I followed the instructions; loading 50 rounds in 5 different grits. Progressed from the harshest abrasive to the fifth polishing round cleaning after each 10 shot cycle at the range. When I got home I gave the rifle a good cleaning and could tell as I passed the patch through the bore that there was less resistance. I now use very little brushing when I clean those rifles. I don't hesitate to recommend the system. I wouldn't use it for a custom barrel because those should already be hand lapped.

Comment

I should add that I did a lot of on-line research before I started using it. It was a leap of faith to use it in a brand new rifle but based on my success with the .308 I went ahead and I have no regrets. I had planned to use it in all of my rifles but the product has been out-of-stock at MidwayUSA for quite a while.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad